how to install octane properly on new pc

Forums: how to install octane properly on new pc
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

how to install octane properly on new pc

Postby mitchino » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:42 am

mitchino Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:42 am
I have a new PC running Windows 11. I have come from the mac world and already Windows is driving me insane, it is so completely unintuitive. I want to install Octane for c4d r23. I've downloaded Octane Studio standalone 2021.1 and Octane Studio for c4d 2021.1-R5.

Standalone seems ok, but the c4d installation is weird. If I choose Create>Extensions>plugins, the pop out menu only shows Hair, Composite and Layered materials. If I create a material from the live viewer and double click on it, the material editor is blank. If I click on the Octane menu at the top of the c4d window, nothing happens.

How can I fix these issues?
mitchino
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: how to install octane properly on new pc

Postby bepeg4d » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:41 am

bepeg4d Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:41 am
Probably the installation is not correct.

Please use 7zip to uncompress the .RAR archive, it is free:
https://www.7-zip.org/

Then, you need to upgrade C4D to R23.110 or greater, or plugin cannot be correctly loaded, please go to c4d menu Help/Check for updates.

About installing c4doctane in C4D R23, you need to create the plugins folder inside the c4d R23 directory, the name is case sensitive.

The installation path for Windows is:

- C:\Program Files\Maxon Cinema 4D R23\plugins\c4doctane (You have to create the plugins folder in lowercase!)

Then you need to copy the uncompressed c4doctane folder inside the plugins folder.

Then you need to remove from the c4doctane folder, all the unnecessary c4doctane-RXX.cdl64/xdlib files not related with R23 specific versions, and leave only one c4doctane-R23.xdlib file in Program files/Maxon Cinema 4D R23/plugins/c4doctane directory.

After installation, please open c4d, then go to c4d menu Extensions/Console, (Shift+F10), and share a complete screenshot of the panel, or copy paste the default console output in your answer, thanks.

Please, also share a screenshot like this one, that shows both the c4doctane directory opened, and the entire installation path, thanks:

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Re: how to install octane properly on new pc

Postby mitchino » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:47 am

mitchino Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:47 am
Thanks Beppe - I had forgotten to remove the versions I don't need, sorry!
mitchino
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion