Volumetrics in Octane Compared to Other Engines

Forums: Volumetrics in Octane Compared to Other Engines
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Volumetrics in Octane Compared to Other Engines

Postby blastframe » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:28 pm

blastframe Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:28 pm
I watched this video recently where multiple renderers were compared. Octane did relatively well with Global Illumination, but performed relatively poorly in volumetrics and all-around render times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myg-VbapLno

The fastest render engine is... 8-0 screenshot.png

This brings up a point I've had for a while: volumetrics has been an unusable feature for me with Octane because of how slow it is. Are there any suggestions on how to improve the render speed starting from the default settings?

Screenshot 2021-07-10 152736.png

Thank you!
blastframe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Volumetrics in Octane Compared to Other Engines

Postby Goldorak » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:05 pm

Goldorak Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:05 pm
The video is wrong on all these inter-render tests even in the ones that work out for us where Octane is ahead.

Volume rendering in Octane is doing so much that isn't even being factored in other renderers at peak quality, it's actually incredibly fast relative to anything else we've tested at the same settings. What can be done is to expose even more aggressive quality settings to gain speed, and that is definitely an option we are continuously exploring, since we added the scatter depth slider back in 2018. In tandem we improved AI denoiser in 2019 (and have a build that is even better in the works) and if speed is paramount - we are combining Brigade+EmbergenFX for real time everything, at the best possible quality we can reach in a single frame, and hopefully from there cover everything in between depending on the quality threshold artists are aiming for.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Volumetrics in Octane Compared to Other Engines

Postby blastframe » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:12 pm

blastframe Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:12 pm
Excellent, thank you for the reply, Jules.

So the Scatter Depth slider & AI Denoiser are the best things to focus on for volumetrics?
blastframe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion