question about some ui basics; maybe another feature request

Forums: question about some ui basics; maybe another feature request
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

question about some ui basics; maybe another feature request

Postby t_3 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:43 pm

t_3 Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:43 pm
i have two a little bit (very little ;) annoying problems while working with octane:
basically it all comes because the state of several ui controls is not saved.

1) the AF button: if i have already saved a scene and just want to rerender it (e.g. because i edited the underlying mesh), it always have to set the focus again, because the AF button gets operable _after_ i click the mesh and the rendering has started - and this means the previos set focal point is set to the center of the scene. the best solution imho would be, if esp. these settings, which affect the final ouput would be saved with the project.

2) render autostart: somehow connected to 1) but not only; sometimes octane crashes, if i click on the mesh to soon. of course, because something working in background isn't yet ready to start rendering. sometimes i just want to make some adjustments prior rendering, so this means to click the mesh/material/whatever, wait till it was loaded to the gpu and has started rendering, click pause and go on. sometimes i've zeroed 2h rendering, because i clicked a material and wasn't aware, that the "view texture/material" buttons are enabled (my fault of course, but their state also isn't saved somewhere). if there was an option to just manually trigger a rendering, i'd use it all the time.

don't know how others handle this, or do i oversee something?
thanks for listening :)
Last edited by t_3 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply

1x i7 2600K @5.0 (Asrock Z77), 16GB, 2x Asus GTX Titan 6GB @1200/3100/6200
2x i7 2600K @4.5 (P8Z68 -V P), 12GB, 1x EVGA GTX 580 3GB @0900/2200/4400
t_3

Re: question about some ui basics; maybe another feature request

Postby abstrax » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:34 pm

abstrax Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:34 pm
t_3 wrote:i have two a little bit (very little ;) annoying problems while working with octane:
basically it all comes because the state of several ui controls is not saved.

1) the AF button: if i have already saved a scene and just want to rerender it (e.g. because i edited the underlying mesh), it always have to set the focus again, because the AF button gets operable _after_ i click the mesh and the rendering has started - and this means the previos set focal point is set to the center of the scene. the best solution imho would be, if esp. these settings, which affect the final ouput would be saved with the project.

2) render autostart: somehow connected to 1) but not only; sometimes octane crashes, if i click on the mesh to soon. of course, because something working in background isn't ready yet to start rendering. sometimes i just want to make some adjustments prior rendering, so this means to click the mesh/material/whatever, wait till it was loaded to the gpu and has started rendering, click pause and go on. sometimes i've zeroed 2h rendering, because i clicked a material and wasn't aware, that the "view texture/material" buttons are enabled (my fault of course, but their state also isn't saved somewhere). if there was an option to just manually trigger a rendering, i'd use it all the time.

don't know how others handle this, or do i oversee something?
thanks for listening :)

The current beta 2.48 test release is still a bit buggy, but we are going to fix the issues as quickly as possible and hopefully release an update in 1-2 days. Both issues should be addressed with that and future releases. Maybe give it a try.

Cheers,
Marcus
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: question about some ui basics; maybe another feature request

Postby t_3 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm

t_3 Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
first, thanks for answering!

right after writing this i did go out to grab a gtx590, updated my drivers (standard 275.33) and jumped into 2.48 - and already noticed that there were some changes at this aspects. also the mousewheel direction for zooming into the image has changed to match the camera zoom (quite a bit funny to use, because 2.46b and 2.48 seem to share the same config file = preferences). nice to see, that some requests are fullfilled before they were even asked :)

cheers back to the opposite end of the world (nearyl)!
The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply

1x i7 2600K @5.0 (Asrock Z77), 16GB, 2x Asus GTX Titan 6GB @1200/3100/6200
2x i7 2600K @4.5 (P8Z68 -V P), 12GB, 1x EVGA GTX 580 3GB @0900/2200/4400
t_3

Return to General Discussion