4 GPU - suitable motherboard - advice

Forums: 4 GPU - suitable motherboard - advice
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Re: 4 GPU - suitable motherboard - advice

Postby natemac00 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:56 pm

natemac00 Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:56 pm
I don't think you'll be able to fit the 4 Hybrid coolers into a 4 slot MB.
Those coolers add extra height and very defined hosing(I could be wrong).

We have an AMD MB with 4 16x 3.0 slots ASROCK X399 TAICHI ATX
and an Intel MB with 4 16x 3.0 slots ASRock Z170 OC FORMULA LGA1151 Intel Z170

All air cooled.
Slaves: 4x GTX 980 Ti | GTX 1080 | GTX 1070 | GTX 1070Ti
natemac00
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mattking » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:02 pm

mattking Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:02 pm
One thing I forgot to mention, is that originally I looked into using a PCI e riser to lift the 4th GPU up away from the mobo , and asked EVGA if they recommend any, they were vague too. Said they cant vouch for ones they havnt tested and most importantly I would then have an issue connecting the GPU to the IO back plate of the case, so I left that possibility and looked into the other options I mentioned in my previous post. I have also been on another thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=69304&p=351919#p351919
( - the thread is actually about fixing the PLX chip issue - )

Anyway I was asking the guy in that thread that had similar issues and same mobo , he just told me that he used a 3M PCI e riser, ( i have seen that this riser - altho more expensive - had good reviews somewhere else too ) The only issue I need to figure out now is how to attach the GPU to my case back plate, Ive aske dthe guy in that thread how he did it, but also EVGA said you could modify the back plate...not sure how but Ill look into it. Maybe even just using longer screws?
mattking
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mattking » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:20 pm

mattking Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:20 pm
Hi Guys and anyone having issues fitting the 4th GPU onto your motherboard!

I did it ! Finally figured it out. Its hard to explain in words but... What I did was:

- I bought front panel extension cables , removed the plastic case end ( female end ) , there is a trick to remove it without destroying the plastic. Use a fine blade ( paper cutter ) to lift the small flap on the end and pull the cable out while you lift the flap.
- Then cut off the base ( bottom part ) of the plastic case with the blade, enough to be able to eventually fit the GPU once all the connectors are on the mobo, but try to cut it just below the flap, this flap is what keeps the wire in place inside the plastic. So I didnt want to cut it too high up coz I wanted to keep this flap attached.
- Push the wire back into the casing you just cut.
- Then for insulating the exposed bits of copper on the cable which are now exposed from cutting the plastic case off, I bought heat shrink tubing kit on amazon, this is perfect for this, placed the tubing to cover the wire and also some of the bottom of the plastic case on the end. Used heat from a hairdryer to shrink the heat shrink tube.
- I did this for all the front panel connectors, and also another USB cable that was connected to my corsair cooler.
- I unplugged another USB 2 connector coz I dont use it. Also a fan header which I could get away with not using.
- When I pushed the 4th GPU in, it was still a tight squeeze but it just about fits. Its been 2 days so far and everything is working fine.

Hope the above makes sense and is helpful because Ive been struggling with this for a few months now. Hopefully it all continues to work fine.
mattking
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:24 pm

FrankPooleFloating Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:24 pm
natemac00 wrote:I don't think you'll be able to fit the 4 Hybrid coolers into a 4 slot MB.
Those coolers add extra height and very defined hosing(I could be wrong).

Wrong.
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to General Discussion