[feature request] Texture preview on actual mesh

Forums: [feature request] Texture preview on actual mesh
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

[feature request] Texture preview on actual mesh

Postby matej » Sat May 21, 2011 8:09 am

matej Sat May 21, 2011 8:09 am
I would like to point out some things about the material / texture preview scene and the work flow regarding it.

First of all, something that was introduced (or it's power has been raised?) in the latest build(s) - the "camera light" when you are on the preview scene. On the same lighting and imager settings that light burns out the preview scene, forcing you to re-set exposure every time you jump back & forth between your actual scene and the preview one. Compare this same material on the same lighting & imager settings. The top is the actual object.
mat-ball-light.jpg

The preview scene is burned out because of that light. Tunning down the exposure doesn't really help, because you can choose between an over bright light spot on the mat. or a dark surrounding. This "preview light" is bad IMO, and we should at least have the option to disable it or control it's power.

---

Now to the point:

Why is the material ball a bad preview for your material / texture workflow

1.) It's way smaller compared to the majority of objects on your scene. That means if you fine-tune your texture scale (or noise parameters) on the ball it will almost 100% look wrong on the actual mesh. This problem can be observed in the LiveDB, where people have created materials that look good on the ball, but whose scale is totally off on actual objects (that's why including a way to scale the material is so important). Even if you scale the ball up that doesn't really solve anything, because a ball of a fixed size will always be much smaller or much bigger than some group of actual objects.

2.) Because it's so small you must zoom in like a madman to get a close view.

3.) Because it's a ball It has spherically distorted UV coordinates. This means that important regions on your textures (like text or something) are sometimes not visible at all - because they are lost in the polar region of the sphere. A sphere is good only for noises and is a bad preview for non-generic non-tiled textures that are exactly mapped.

4.) Because of UV distortion and structure of the model, there is little useful preview space, which is mostly located around the "equator" and on the back (because of logo).

5.) A material ball is really not meant to work on when creating materials, but it's more like a (bad) generalized preview, thus it does not fit the Octane material node work flow or the Octane general WYSIWYG type of work.

Ideal solution

Allow the possibility to view the textures on the actual mesh, so that we can move our material creating work flow entirely on the actual objects. For material parameters this is possible to do, but it would be practical to have this ability also on the texture level - when you would click on a texture node the texture would show up on the mesh. (currently it would be possible to hack this behavior with a "dummy" mat. to which you would assign the texture to the diffuse channel, and the assign the mat. to the object, but this is sooooo clumsy that it's not worth it...)
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: [feature request] Texture preview on actual mesh

Postby Timmaigh » Tue May 24, 2011 9:27 pm

Timmaigh Tue May 24, 2011 9:27 pm
I concur with the scene light thing, if i do an interior render, i need to crank up exposure almost every time, its incredibly annoying to decrease it back everytime i want to play with these material balls, as they are otherwise overburn and useless... i do not even work with nodes cause of this, i just click the individual objects in the scene with the droplet icon and do it this way...
Intel Core i7 980x @ 3,78GHz - Gigabyte X58A UD7 rev 1.0 - 24GB DDR3 RAM - Gainward GTX590 3GB @ 700/1400/3900 Mhz- 2x Intel X25-M G2 80GB SSD - WD Caviar Black 2TB - WD Caviar Green 2TB - Fractal Design Define R2 - Win7 64bit - Octane 2.57
Timmaigh
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Tue May 24, 2011 10:06 pm

abstrax Tue May 24, 2011 10:06 pm
The new CUDA framework will finally make the render target nodes active. That means, from beta 2.5 on, the preview configuration is mainly meant to be used to set up the material ball scene and you then use your own render target nodes for the actual scene configurations (environments, cameras and so on).

Obviously all these changes require quite some work on the foundation, which is the reason why you have to wait a bit longer for the next release, compared to the last releases ;)

Cheers,
Marcus
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby matej » Wed May 25, 2011 7:19 am

matej Wed May 25, 2011 7:19 am
@abstrax, will that practically mean that we can create our own custom preview scene - with custom geometry replacing the ball? The ball is really not a good preview mesh for some type of textures. Of course the ball (or some standardized piece of mesh) is needed for LiveDB material sharing, provided that people understand the necessity of supplying easy scaling controls to their macros.

Just take your time. I think most users understand that you are doing big changes and that can't be done in a week. :)
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Wed May 25, 2011 8:48 am

abstrax Wed May 25, 2011 8:48 am
matej wrote:@abstrax, will that practically mean that we can create our own custom preview scene - with custom geometry replacing the ball? The ball is really not a good preview mesh for some type of textures. Of course the ball (or some standardized piece of mesh) is needed for LiveDB material sharing, provided that people understand the necessity of supplying easy scaling controls to their macros.

Just take your time. I think most users understand that you are doing big changes and that can't be done in a week. :)

Different types of preview geometry will not be available immediately, but we plan to add them at a later stage.

Cheers,
Marcus
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to General Discussion