Feature Request: Reflection Vector

Forums: Feature Request: Reflection Vector
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Feature Request: Reflection Vector

Postby treddie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:22 am

treddie Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:22 am
Not sure why this has never been implemented before in a 3D program, but looks pretty straight forward. It would be great to be able to look at a mesh and say, "I want a bright highlight to appear right here." So you move the mouse to that spot, right-click "Reflection Vector", and Octane calculates the ray that would travel from your eye through the picture plane, and bounce off the mesh at that point into the scene space. It would display the ray so that you could snap a light source to it anywhere along its length. This should ensure that you get the reflected highlight exactly where you want it without a lot of wasted time with trial & error.

Highlight Calc.jpg
Win7 | Geforce TitanX w/ 12Gb | Geforce GTX-560 w/ 2Gb | 6-Core 3.5GHz | 32Gb | Cinema4D w RipTide Importer and OctaneExporter Plugs.
treddie
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Feature Request: Reflection Vector

Postby paride4331 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:54 am

paride4331 Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:54 am
treddie wrote:Not sure why this has never been implemented before in a 3D program, but looks pretty straight forward. It would be great to be able to look at a mesh and say, "I want a bright highlight to appear right here." So you move the mouse to that spot, right-click "Reflection Vector", and Octane calculates the ray that would travel from your eye through the picture plane, and bounce off the mesh at that point into the scene space. It would display the ray so that you could snap a light source to it anywhere along its length. This should ensure that you get the reflected highlight exactly where you want it without a lot of wasted time with trial & error.

Highlight Calc.jpg

https://www.lightmap.co.uk/
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Re: Feature Request: Reflection Vector

Postby treddie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:02 pm

treddie Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:02 pm
Oh I forgot about HDR Light Studio! Neber got a chance to play with it.
Sure would be nice if a reflection vector could get be native on Octane. Would simplify placement of light sources A LOT.
Win7 | Geforce TitanX w/ 12Gb | Geforce GTX-560 w/ 2Gb | 6-Core 3.5GHz | 32Gb | Cinema4D w RipTide Importer and OctaneExporter Plugs.
treddie
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion