Scene geo generation

Forums: Scene geo generation
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Scene geo generation

Postby Italic_ » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:25 am

Italic_ Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:25 am
I recall seeing a post describing an overhaul on the scene geometry generator. Is this still in progress, or is it already out? I have a very instance-heavy scene (leaves populating trees, populating a mountain) that generates the scene in about 2-3 minutes. This is tolerable as a one-time generation, for example having a camera fly through the scene. Where it starts becoming too cumbersome is with an animated alembic cache (or VDB sequence) in the scene. Each frame requires regeneration of the entire scene: instances, ABC and VDB. With this comes my question:

Is there a way this generation could change, whether internally or with my node setup? If certain geometry doesn't change between frames, why should it be regenerated when something else changes? Is it possible to retain a partial scene and add in animated geo on each frame? This is also true of VDB settings: if you edit a VDB field (ie emission), the whole scene regenerates. I would assume I wouldn't be able to change this sort of behavior with just a different node setup.

My real displeasure with the regeneration is that it drags my machine to a halt each time; I can't move my cursor.
GTX 970 (4GB) | GTX 560 Ti (2GB) | 361.45.18
Centos 7 | Win7
Octane 3.05.3 | Blender git | Exporter v1.51
Italic_
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion