Help me upgrade to win 10

Forums: Help me upgrade to win 10
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Help me upgrade to win 10

Postby oguzbir » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:30 am

oguzbir Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:30 am
As the deadline is approaching. I'm still on win 7 at the moment.
Anybody can care to share the experience.

I plan on installing on a new SSD that I bought.
Before I do that I guess I have to first upgrade the win 7 to win 10.
then Add the new SSD drive then fresh install on the new drive.

I guess that is the procedure I have to follow.
Has anyone had the same Goal? Did any one tried to have both win 7 and win 10 installed and dual booted.
in the same scenario?
I have lot of work at hand and I want to keep my files and install software as is.
But at the same time not loose the win 10 free upgrade ..

I have custom user folders (like desktop and documents) on other drives.
I also an UEFI board.

Did you guys had any problems whilst upgrade? Does anyone has win7/10 dual boot. visa versa.

Does octane or max other programs work right away after first upgrade ?
My Portfolio
windows 10 Pro. |1070 + 1070 + 1070 + 1070 | i7 @4.5Ghz
oguzbir
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Help me upgrade to win 10

Postby Lewis » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:26 pm

Lewis Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:26 pm
Just be aware that you will have LESS Vram available in Rendering after win10 upgrade. Win10 "reserves" double more VRAM than win7/win8 so on TitanX 12GB you "loose" 2.1-2.2 GB VRAM in Octane. In win7/8 is half of that amount.

Other than that no problems with win10 and Octane.
--
Lewis
http://www.ram-studio.hr
Skype - lewis3d
ICQ - 7128177

WS AMD TRPro 3955WX, 256GB RAM, Win10, 2 * RTX 4090, 1 * RTX 3090
RS1 i7 9800X, 64GB RAM, Win10, 3 * RTX 3090
RS2 i7 6850K, 64GB RAM, Win10, 2 * RTX 4090
Lewis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby oguzbir » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:30 pm

oguzbir Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:30 pm
Lewis wrote:Just be aware that you will have LESS Vram available in Rendering after win10 upgrade. Win10 "reserves" double more VRAM than win7/win8 so on TitanX 12GB you "loose" 2.1-2.2 GB VRAM in Octane. In win7/8 is half of that amount.
Other than that no problems with win10 and Octane.

Thanks Lewis,
That's the only I reason I held my self back away from win10 as much as possible.
I hope it can be solved.
My Portfolio
oguzbir
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby prehabitat » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:51 pm

prehabitat Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:51 pm
responses (mainly) in order

I deactivated & cleaned/uninstalled all my software, upgraded, registered/validated win10 then did a clean install (same drive) then reinstalled & deactivated all my software. Did that mainly out of issue/downtime paranoia & past experience with significant gains from a clean install... Whole process took 2 days at weekend pace (just checked in on batch uninstalled & reinstalls when I walked past the home office/studio. Note: I understand that this process is not for everyone..
Upgraded my workstation in the office late last week and didn't bother with the clean install: but my software is less complicated in the office...
Win10 activation servers 'remember' your hardware & will auto validate when you reinstall, but I have no idea if this applies when you swap out your primary storage (try google & let us know? Wouldn't mind a pcie SSD upgrade some day)

IF win10 activation doesn't support storage/SSD replacement the process would be different: I would suggest you migrate to your new drive (there are lots of methods but a paid hard drive imaging tool is worth the investment here: only $50 or so at the most, and there are free ones that work too). After you're all set up on your new drive & sure that the OS is all good then upgrade to win10.
So: win7 old SSD -> win7 new SSD -> win10 new SSD
Obviously only required if win10 activation server DOESNT allow you to switch/migrate hard drives after upgrade...

I havnt tried dual-boot: but you forfeit your win7 licence when you upgrade. So wouldn't be legally possible... In theory you could dual boot with win7 & win10 from an OS perspective. I think the boot loader setup is a little more involved than in the past due to uefi...

If you are talking about doing a fresh install on the new drive then you won't be able to keep your software installed: even if your documents, desktop, user files and program files are on another drive (might be wrong, but last time I tried this only worked on Linux... ) another one for Google: but I expect there's some registry stuff associated with the installation of software that would be lost when you clean install onto the new drive.

I had custom folders on my storage drive and managed to connect them up again. Still battling with some of the features to get file explorer singing again, but it's close enough for me for the moment...

The only problem I had was Adobe PDF printer stopped working on my office workstation: still unresolved (& IT dept is slow) so I have been using Microsoft print to PDF (has image problems but ok). All my software worked the minute win10 booted: no re-activation required for anything. But prob safe to sign out of any floating licence software just to be sure?
No issues on my home studio workstation which got fresh install of everything.

Overall I'm happy despite the few tiny things I'm ironing out. Had a lot of years with win7 to learn all its tricks: I'm sure in a few months I'll know everything worth knowing about win10...
Last edited by prehabitat on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win10/3770/16gb/K600(display)/GTX780(Octane)/GTX590/372.70
Octane 3.x: GH Lands VARQ Rhino5 -Rhino.io- C4D R16 / Revit17
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby oguzbir » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:03 pm

oguzbir Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:03 pm
hi prehabitat,
Thanks mate. I'll see how it goes. I'm so close for deadline for some projects. the projects and win10 free upgrade deadline is on the same date...
I've already cleared space on my 256GB old sdd.
Will upgrade on that. and then clean install on the new one.
I hope win 10 gets the same PC information from the bios.

Dual boot fantasy is just for me to cope with any incoming projects. Where I can find less time to install the apps and softwares

One thing that is bogging me is that I have user folders setup on other drive.
Not sure whether or not it will create a problem for me once I upgrade.

It just gets messed up sometimes even on windows some programs does not obey those custom folders and go to C:\users\blabla\desktop what ever.
Anyhow. I'will see what happens. :)
many thanks
My Portfolio
oguzbir
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion