Octane 4

Forums: Octane 4
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Re: Octane 4

Postby C-You » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:45 am

C-You Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:45 am
PLEASE - OTOY make a different pricing structure, so it is the same fairness between WIN and MAC users
and between big and little studios.

There are a lot of freaks here try to get eGPU working on a MAC and much better is to have a PC for render.
But whats really hold back to do this is the very unfair second license of standalone for the slave, because
MAC users only can have max 1 GPU (only for old PRO) and if the new GPUs will be supported then max
2 GPU are available instead of 4 whats the max you can put into a good PC.

So why not make a really fair pricing for each GPU is used in fact? With the new online license tool it would
be no problem to buy a number of GPUs for render. Then you can start any System you like and the GPUs
are choosen in OR panel for render would be blocked in the user account until OR reset by shutting down.
If you put another GPU just purchase another GPU license and you are fair ready to go. So in fact OTOY
has to manage only ONE number in the user account - no more serial numbers - safes a lot of work. Just
set the number of purchased GPU in the account and block (decrease) the number of available GPUs are
really used at the same time - no matter from which system in the world.

In this way you would have no unfair pricing with standalone for each slave with very different numbers
of GPU and have to pay the extra standalone (AND you have to upgrade each standalone in each next release!).
And not every one could buy a PC with full loaded 4 GPUs at the first time - but have to pay for OR like it would
be full loaded of 4 GPUs.

So the much more fair thing would be to charge for each real used GPU - no matter what slave is used and
what system fires up the render - and much more important no matter how much GPU installed at every used system.

Freedom and FAIRNESS to all - and hey great OTOY team - ask yourself if we alll lottery winners? NO - we
are not and a render app is just ONE piece of software in all our pipelines. What do you think a little studio
can offer every year with every update? There are so many apps you have to pay for permanently year by year.
So make much better pricing structure to get much more little studios into OR - at the moment prices are very high
because of the needed standalones and the most important thing everybody knows is the need of upgrade every license
for every year - and maybe the plugin versions no longer extra charge like other render apps do.

Make more fair and decreased prices and get a ton of new little studios - will be in fact much more money instead
block out all the little studios that cannot offer so much money just for only the render part of their pipeline.

OR is great - but way to expensive for little studios …

just my 2 cents
C-You
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:16 am

Goldorak Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:16 am
We agree with the premise, and figuring out new inexpensive pricing is very important to us now that we are moving past the big 3.0 release and the last set of stability fixes.

Let us next roll out the subscriptions and then headless rendering. I believe these are going to address most of what you are looking for. For not, we want feedback on why.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Lewis » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:56 am

Lewis Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:56 am
Goldorak wrote: and then headless rendering. I believe these are going to address most of what you are looking for. For not, we want feedback on why.

Is that what i think it is ? Do you refer to Render slave only mode as "headless rendering" ?

Thanks
--
Lewis
http://www.ram-studio.hr
Skype - lewis3d
ICQ - 7128177

WS AMD TRPro 3955WX, 256GB RAM, Win10, 2 * RTX 4090, 1 * RTX 3090
RS1 i7 9800X, 64GB RAM, Win10, 3 * RTX 3090
RS2 i7 6850K, 64GB RAM, Win10, 2 * RTX 4090
Lewis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer