development update

Forums: development update
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Re: HDRI size sphere setup

Postby abstrax » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:03 pm

abstrax Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:03 pm
Andygraph3D wrote:If I make a panoramic render of a 3d room with a 3d guy in the middle with a light on the ceiling to some extent it illuminate the 3d guy in a certain way, that is, according to the size of the light.
If I re-use the same render as panoramic hdri, removing the room and illuminating only the 3d guy, octane will shed light on the ceiling of a larger size and not the exact size in proportion to the magnitude of the 3d guy.

An option to scale the size of the virtual sphere hdri would be very useful to simulate more correctly the hdri environment of small or relatively small.

2 option need:
infinity (like is today)
and size (with option size for little enviroment)

With the next release you will probably be able to fake it using the new texture projections (preferred) or by placing the HDRI onto a sphere and making the sphere invisible.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: development update

Postby Andygraph3D » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:49 pm

Andygraph3D Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:49 pm
hm .. interesting :)
Andygraph3D
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby anereton » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:33 pm

anereton Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:33 pm
Sorry for my intromission,

But i didnt understand one thing, we will have a little update this month or only in 2014 something new to try? Really Really sorry for this but im eager to get this update. Thanks so much for excelent job in Octane!
Windows 10 pro x64 | Geforce GTX 980| AMD FX-9590 | 8GB DDR3| Octane render 3.03 |
anereton
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby stratified » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:26 pm

stratified Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:26 pm
anereton wrote:Sorry for my intromission,

But i didnt understand one thing, we will have a little update this month or only in 2014 something new to try? Really Really sorry for this but im eager to get this update. Thanks so much for excelent job in Octane!

The plan is to start the release candidate cycle leading up to a stable 1.5 this year. We still hope to get to a stable 1.5 release in 2013...

cheers,
Thomas
stratified
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:07 pm

abstrax Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:07 pm

To add to Thomas' post: What you are seeing in the videos and screenshots is what we currently call version 1.21. It's the first version in the development cycle to stable 1.5. We were hoping to get it out this month (i.e. this week), but there are still quite a few issues to weed out so I'm not too sure if we get it done until this week. But if not this week then very likely next.

It would surprise me if we would get to a stable 1.5 this year, we are definitely aiming for early next year.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:34 pm

FrankPooleFloating Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:34 pm
D'oh!... thankfully, only us yanks observe Thanksgiving... so you will be working Thursday!!.. and not shopping Friday! :lol: Chop-chop Octane Team... Chop-chop!

Speaking of which, this 4-day weekend would be an incredible window of opportunity for myself (and other Octane-using yanks) to test the shit out of Visibility...
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Faizol » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:26 am

Faizol Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:26 am
Just a suggestion.

Regarding Python scripting binding, Coral-apps is a good example of how easy it is to do Python binding. Coral is an open source project licensed under BSD license (http://code.google.com/p/coral-repo/).

Since the code is in the middle of re-factoring and Octane is targeted towards production use in animation and effects industry (where Python is dominant), it makes sense if Python scripting binding is also considered.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Fedora 17 | 16 GB RAM | Quadro 4000 | driver = nvidia 304.xx & CUDA 4.0
Faizol
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby stratified » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:18 am

stratified Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:18 am
Faizol wrote:Just a suggestion.

Regarding Python scripting binding, Coral-apps is a good example of how easy it is to do Python binding. Coral is an open source project licensed under BSD license (http://code.google.com/p/coral-repo/).

Since the code is in the middle of re-factoring and Octane is targeted towards production use in animation and effects industry (where Python is dominant), it makes sense if Python scripting binding is also considered.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Hi there,

There's a couple of reasons why we chose Lua over Python:
* Lua is way simpler than Python so I guess almost everyone will be able to do something usefull.
* Lua is specifically designed for embedding.
* Lua's footprint is way smaller the Python's
* Lua's not that obscure, heaps of apps use Lua as embedded scripting language.

Luckily the major refactoring is almost over and we sure ain't going to add more features now for 1.5.

I'm not saying that we never ever will support Python...

cheers,
Thomas
stratified
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Faizol » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:46 am

Faizol Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:46 am
stratified wrote:Hi there,

There's a couple of reasons why we chose Lua over Python:
* Lua is way simpler than Python so I guess almost everyone will be able to do something usefull.
* Lua is specifically designed for embedding.
* Lua's footprint is way smaller the Python's
* Lua's not that obscure, heaps of apps use Lua as embedded scripting language.

Luckily the major refactoring is almost over and we sure ain't going to add more features now for 1.5.

I'm not saying that we never ever will support Python...

cheers,
Thomas

I'm not a fan of Python either compared to other scripting languages, but the availability of the tools/libraries used in the industry or streamlining a pipeline between the major apps and Octane (3D/compositing/data management/others) should be the priority. Especially when Octane is not a complete end to end tool, and has to work together with other software in a large and often complicated eco-system. As an example, take a hint from Autodesk when Python binding is done across their major applications. Those bindings were done after their managers discussed with their major clients aka "big studios" on streamlining the pipelines used by their customers.

Cheers,
Fedora 17 | 16 GB RAM | Quadro 4000 | driver = nvidia 304.xx & CUDA 4.0
Faizol
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby anereton » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:30 pm

anereton Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:30 pm
abstrax wrote:

To add to Thomas' post: What you are seeing in the videos and screenshots is what we currently call version 1.21. It's the first version in the development cycle to stable 1.5. We were hoping to get it out this month (i.e. this week), but there are still quite a few issues to weed out so I'm not too sure if we get it done until this week. But if not this week then very likely next.

It would surprise me if we would get to a stable 1.5 this year, we are definitely aiming for early next year.

So any news about the 1.21? i want to use it in a new big presentation, and use the new tools in it.

Cheers
Windows 10 pro x64 | Geforce GTX 980| AMD FX-9590 | 8GB DDR3| Octane render 3.03 |
anereton
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion