Vertex map displacement support for materials

Forums: Vertex map displacement support for materials
Sub forum for feature requests etc

Moderator: aoktar

Vertex map displacement support for materials

Postby nullbio » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:32 am

nullbio Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:32 am
Further discussion about this here, and why it is needed: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=79783&p=421776#p421776

To sum it up, objects that require displacement on only particular parts of the object is not currently supported well - requires UV maps and image masks right now, which is a lot of work when other texture projection types would suffice. The ability to use vertex maps as masks for displacement would be very beneficial, and is something that is currently supported in Redshift. Using subdivision surfaces and doing all of the displacement in c4d so that you can use a vertex map instead of relying on Octane's subdivisions and doing displacement in the material has considerable negatives (harder management and having to manage multiple things instead of doing it in one place, lack of interoperability between Octane nodes and materials and features with the c4d system, extreme scene degredation and performance penalities when using lots of subdivisions, as well having the SDS constantly recalculating when moving around the scene or playing animation keyframes, etc).

Read the thread for further info. But that's the general idea.
nullbio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Vertex map displacement support for materials

Postby pabloportorodrigues » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:10 pm

pabloportorodrigues Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:10 pm
Yes, I applied for that just now too.

In any other software it is possible. In order to test and see if it's possible, I did it in Redshift and it works, I saw that it's possible in Blender with Cycles and even in Modo too.

This is a very powerful option that is sorely needed.

I hope it will be possible to do this soon in Cinema 4D's Octane
pabloportorodrigues
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to User requests