Octane Light viewport display options

Forums: Octane Light viewport display options
Sub forum for feature requests etc

Moderator: aoktar

Octane Light viewport display options

Postby itsallgoode9 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:30 pm

itsallgoode9 Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:30 pm
It would be helpful for more easily positioning lights in 3d space, if the the light's representation in the viewport had some display options. Unless there's already a setting for this somewhere, the only display for lights in the viewport is a wireframe outline, which makes it sometimes tricky to tell which way a light is facing--an sometimes that there's even a light there at all!

If possible, the viewport display options i'm proposing are:

1. Light color and transparency--being able to adjust the color of the viewport representation would be really helpful to quickly see light groupings. and transparency
because you probably don't always want your light blocking objects they're lighting.

1.a Backface culling options to #1--Semi transparent or different color or whatever. Once again, helps with orientation of lights in viewport as well as quickly seeing
which way they're pointing.

1.b Texture on light--sometimes it could be helpful to be able to see what HDRs you have applied to lights, in the viewport (softbox, umbrella, etc)

2. Light direction arrow--Once again for more helpful positioning and aiming. A simple arrow indicator pointing out from the center of the light. Generally speaking the
gizmo works for this but when rotating lights I wish I could also see better.

3. Grid lines Options on Light--Another useful option for helping see light orientation and positioning, especially if combined with option 1. Very helpful to see if
lights are clipping geometry

With all of these options it would be useful to have them individually adjusted in each light's octane light tag but also able to globally turn on and off the various options.

All of these suggestions are really just quality life suggestions that I believe help a lot with working speed/efficiency when lighting. Many/most of these suggestions stem from my of using geometry planes for lighting, long ago, before Octane introduced octane lights, and a lot of the viewport usability that inherently came with having actual geo as your light source--all of which I miss very much, when working with Octane Lights.

If these suggestions are anything you would consider adding, I would be happy to mockup visuals to help better describe.
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to User requests