Override Standard Materials with Octane Materials

Forums: Override Standard Materials with Octane Materials
Sub forum for feature requests etc

Moderator: aoktar

Override Standard Materials with Octane Materials

Postby leehenshall » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:02 am

leehenshall Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:02 am
Recently when working on a job using V-Ray and Maya. I noticed a workflow that I really like.

Just like in C4D. In Maya, you have native shaders and plugin specific shaders. Obviously when rendering with a plugin you want to render with materials specific to that plugin. But in some cases it might be preferable to keep shaders supplied with a client model (such as CAD) or you might simply want to utilize all the viewport features that are available via native shaders. This can be useful for doing animation playblasts/flipbook animations using viewport open gl reflections and shadows but still have render time (optimized and look-dev'd) materials for final frame rendering.

Using V-Ray for Maya you can set an override on a Maya native shader to render a different material at render time. This got me wondering whether Cinema 4D could allow for this same functionality.

See below for how it works in Maya. All you need to do is add a custom v-ray attribute to the native material shading group and you can tell v-ray to ignore the viewport material and instead render a different material when compiling for v-ray.

01.jpg

I was thinking this might be possible to implement in a few different ways.

• A new Octane tag called "Octane Material Override"
    • An Octane Material Override section within C4d Material Tag
    • An Octane Material Override section within the Native material editor
    • Maybe a hardcoded new material that has viewport and render material slots
    • A render globals toggle to allow material overrides for an on off switch of this behavior

Also if anyone knows whether this is already possible in Cinema 4D then please let me know.

Thanks and keep up the great work.
leehenshall
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to User requests