Substance Designer + Octane Questions

Forums: Substance Designer + Octane Questions
Sub forum for help and tutorials.

Moderator: aoktar

Substance Designer + Octane Questions

Postby Delizade » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:14 am

Delizade Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:14 am
Hi,
When I made a material in Substance Designer, I could not get what I hoped in Octane workflow. I must be doing some mistakes. I wanted to ask a couple of questions:

1) If a texture is exported as Raw, how should it be used in octane texture node properly? Its color space and gamma?

2) same question is for textures that are exported as Linear

3) How should normal map prepared in SD for Octane properly? Should
normal map exported as RGB?

4) Do you have any tips for Substance Designer + Octane workflow? If we can get some from experinced artists it will help us a lot.

5) I work with ACES workflow in Octane. Is there any rules that we should use while creating materials in Substance Designer?

For raw, I guess color space must be “no color space” and for linear, obviously must be linear but that Gamma part made me an idiot every time.

Thank you
Windows 10 (3090Ti) | MacBook Pro (M3 Max)
Delizade
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Substance Designer + Octane Questions

Postby elsksa » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:13 pm

elsksa Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:13 pm
Delizade wrote:Hi,
When I made a material in Substance Designer, I could not get what I hoped in Octane workflow.

Hi,
Octane isn't particularly special to work with. Pretty close to a standardized "PBR" workflow. The choice of the shading approach is essentially between the über "Universal Material", the equivalent from Autodesk/Arnold namely "Standard Surface" and the pseudo-individual lobes (sort of the aforementioned über materials, with each inner sections respectively separated: Diffuse, Glossy and Specular material (principally). Octane Look-Development

Delizade wrote:1) If a texture is exported as Raw, how should it be used in octane texture node properly? Its color space and gamma?

Delizade wrote:2) same question is for textures that are exported as Linear

It is to be assumed to be Linear-sRGB, Linear alone simply refers to the transfer function (one third of what technically defines a color space, mistakenly known as Gamma) “Linear” In Digital Imaging
Delizade wrote:3) How should normal map prepared in SD for Octane properly? Should
normal map exported as RGB?

RGB is the encoding model type.
"Raw" in a texturing CGI context typically refers to "no operation" or "as-is" which is whatever the file has been encoded into (typically Linear-sRGB color space, with varying file formats).
Depending on the 3rd party color management used and texture type, it can be named as "raw" or whatever refers to it (e.g. "no operation"), there is also "non-color data" (normal maps colors are coordinates data, not actual surface reflectance colors), etc. Texture Files “Color-Management”.

Delizade wrote:4) Do you have any tips for Substance Designer + Octane workflow? If we can get some from experinced artists it will help us a lot.

Acknowledging the fundamentals of CGI shading, color management and established standards should be a 3D technician first priority.
Octane Color Management
Offline Rendering Digital Imaging 101 (“Survival Kit”)
Online information and official documentations are to take with a pinch of salt as many of them are erroneous and misinforming at times.

Delizade wrote:5) I work with ACES workflow in Octane. Is there any rules that we should use while creating materials in Substance Designer?

ACES isn't a necessity and to avoid (particularly outside of a VFX studio context). Octane ACES to learn more. A superior and simpler alternative, Display Rendering Transform.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Help / Tutorials