ACES, sRGB PNG output problem

Forums: ACES, sRGB PNG output problem
Sub forum for help and tutorials.

Moderator: aoktar

Re: ACES, sRGB PNG output problem

Postby freakanay » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:43 pm

freakanay Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:43 pm
Hi! I am having the same issue still!

I have been trying to render a still image as PSD file, and while I am working in ACES color space, I am exporting to a standard sRGB format. And for some reason I cannot get it to be 1-on-1 how the LV looks....
The one thing I was able to deduce is that somehow the PV/renderer 'linearizes' the image and therefore the PV version looks different. So when I open my rendered PSD file and put a gamma transformation of 1/2.2 I end up with an image ALMOST close to the LV, but still not 100% exact...

Anyone with some new updates on this? I find this very frustrating that I am not able to just output a standard sRGB image from ACES
freakanay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: ACES, sRGB PNG output problem

Postby skientia » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:50 am

skientia Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:50 am
freakanay wrote:I have been trying to render a still image as PSD file, and while I am working in ACES color space, I am exporting to a standard sRGB format. And for some reason I cannot get it to be 1-on-1 how the LV looks....

Seems ambiguous. By "standard sRGB", are you referring to the ACES sRGB ODT? This is the ACES conformed sRGB output. Other than the Linear ACEScg / 2065 color spaces for post.

A half way through ACES pipeline isn't an ACES pipeline (working in ACES, exporting in an sRGB flavor, bypassing ACES RRT+ODT).

A PSD file isn't standard or conventional and unrecommended. For proper render export, EXR is indubitably the right choice. Some links:
File Format Debunk (EXR / TIFF / PNG...)
Render Export Settings Guideline

Worth mentioning that ACES is not obligatory and superior, easier solutions are available. Rather just one (link for further reading on AgX).
A free informative resource for everyone
SKIENTIA.CO/OCTANE
skientia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Help / Tutorials