Displacement doesn't update when image is replaced

Forums: Displacement doesn't update when image is replaced
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: aoktar

Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)
H. A detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it (Include Screenshots or video capture), as well as an example scene if applicable.
I. Copies of the Octane Log window and Console window outputs (full text attached as a file to your post is recommended).

Please note that reports of issues inside existing threads will be ignored/removed, and reports may be closed if the reporter does not respond to subsequent queries in the thread.

Displacement doesn't update when image is replaced

Postby ajuk3d » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:43 am

ajuk3d Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:43 am
A. Windows 10, 10.0.18363 Build 18363
B. GTX 1080
C. RAM 16GB
D. Nvidia Studio Driver, 442.19
E. N/A
F. Plugin 2019.1.5 (6000500)
G. Cinema 4D R20.059 Studio (RC - R20) Education
H...
I. N/A

Cinema 4D Octane bug where replacing the image texture loaded into the displacement channel with a file of the same name shows that displaced geometry does not update accordingly.

For example:
1. find 2 distinctly different images to use as displacement textures.
2. place one inside your tex folder. place the second file up one folder level.
3. name both image files "disp1"
4. turb on the LV, create a primitive and throw a material on it with tex/disp1 for its displacement. adjust displacement resolution so its easier to see distinct details.
5. the object should look beautiful with your new displacement.
6. now move the disp1 file in the upper folder level into tex/ to replace/overwrite tex/disp1
7. in the displacement channel, reload the image. you should see the image thumbnail update. LV hasn't updated :(
8. restart the LV. object displacement in LV still hasn't updated!!!

The only way to get the displacement in the LV to update (as far as I know) is to either restart C4D or replace the disp texture with a file of a DIFFERENT FILE NAME, then go back to step 7.
I'm using a universal material node and the LV is always running if that makes any difference.
ajuk3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Displacement doesn't update when image is replaced

Postby aoktar » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:00 pm

aoktar Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:00 pm
I think I know why this happens. It still assumes where it should look and ignores other place. Current work-around is to change filename and change to original. I'll try to fix it
Attachments
a2.jpg
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Bug Reports