Weird shading triangulations - Displacement + normal

Forums: Weird shading triangulations - Displacement + normal
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: aoktar

Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)
H. A detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it (Include Screenshots or video capture), as well as an example scene if applicable.
I. Copies of the Octane Log window and Console window outputs (full text attached as a file to your post is recommended).

Please note that reports of issues inside existing threads will be ignored/removed, and reports may be closed if the reporter does not respond to subsequent queries in the thread.

Weird shading triangulations - Displacement + normal

Postby Terryvfx » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:23 pm

Terryvfx Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:23 pm
So as the titles says I'm having sort of a weird problem (I found a fix but I was still curious about it so I post it here) if I use normal + displacement in the same material I ended up with a triangulation in the shading of the light I don't know why this happens the work around that I found is that if I reduce the polycount of the object to 1 the problem is fixed but this isn't always possible, any idea why this happens? I actually have encouter this issues several times already.

trinangulation.jpg
here you can see the problem

no triangulation.jpg
no triangulation if I set the geo to 1 poly

normal.png
if it's just the normal the problem doesn't happens

displacement.jpg
same goes for displacement
Terryvfx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Weird shading triangulations - Displacement + normal

Postby aoktar » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:31 pm

aoktar Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:31 pm
It's obviously not new or plugin related issue. Seems like a common and known issue of renderer.
So why i'm writing like this because it's not about plugin devs and posted several times. And i'm doing that to be not answered.
Anyway thanks posting this.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Terryvfx » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:37 pm

Terryvfx Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:37 pm
I figure as much I actually did a quick search to see if anyone had a similar issue in the past, I also thought It wasn't plugin related but since I didn't come up with any result in the search, do you know any workout besides mine?
Terryvfx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby neue » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:25 am

neue Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:25 am
Getting the same problem, for anyone wondering it seems to be related to UVs and even if you set all the textures within a material to use box projection they still get interfered with by the UV data for some reason. Removing the UVs "fixes" it.
neue
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Terryvfx » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:29 am

Terryvfx Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:29 am
Hi neue yours seems to be a new kind of problem since the one I'm calling out in this thread was solved a few patches back, it's nice that you found a workaround to this but I'm curious to see how the mesh was looking when the problem was showing up.
Terryvfx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Bug Reports