Cinema4D version 2020.2-RC5 (Release candicate) 23.12.2020

Forums: Cinema4D version 2020.2-RC5 (Release candicate) 23.12.2020
Sub forum for plugin releases

Moderator: aoktar

Re: Cinema4D version 2020.2-RC5 (Release candicate) 23.12.2020

Postby aoktar » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:20 pm

aoktar Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:20 pm
lanklaf wrote:@aoktar
BUG: Channel Inverter node and Color Correction node.

Channel inverter node does not work for normals.
For example, if I want to invert the green channel of the normal - first I have to split the channels and then use the inverter node on the green channel.
If I use the inverter of the color correction node after separation, it will not work either, only the Invert node works.

Channel Inverter node: X

Invert node: (OK)

Color Correction node: X

Thanks, there's nothing about me(plugin side). Your assumptions/expectation for the behavior of invert that can be correct or not. Nothing to do for changing it in plugin. Please put your report to standalone topic.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby lanklaf » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:22 pm

lanklaf Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:22 pm
aoktar wrote:Thanks, there's nothing about me(plugin side). Your assumptions/expectation for the behavior of invert that can be correct or not. Nothing to do for changing it in plugin. Please put your report to standalone topic.

Ok :)
System:
i7 8700K / RTX 2020 / 16GB RAM
lanklaf
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Antoncromas » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:04 pm

Antoncromas Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:04 pm
aoktar wrote:
Antoncromas wrote:No no. When the image rendered from the picture viewer its being saved with a wrong gamma. I had to go through the photoshop and invert gamma to .45 to match the image that is shown on the picture viewer.

OK detected the issue. It's a case when save passes with c4d save formats when you select sRGB colorspace. It still assumes saved images are linear. I'm fixing this part for RC6 builds

Thank you!
Antoncromas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:37 pm

aoktar Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:37 pm
Antoncromas wrote:
aoktar wrote:
Antoncromas wrote:No no. When the image rendered from the picture viewer its being saved with a wrong gamma. I had to go through the photoshop and invert gamma to .45 to match the image that is shown on the picture viewer.

OK detected the issue. It's a case when save passes with c4d save formats when you select sRGB colorspace. It still assumes saved images are linear. I'm fixing this part for RC6 builds

Thank you!

Released the RC6 build, could you please test it?
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby lanklaf » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:11 pm

lanklaf Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:11 pm
aoktar wrote:Thanks, there's nothing about me(plugin side). Your assumptions/expectation for the behavior of invert that can be correct or not. Nothing to do for changing it in plugin. Please put your report to standalone topic.

Works in RC6!! :D
System:
lanklaf
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby karl » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:53 pm

karl Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:53 pm
lanklaf wrote:@aoktar, is it possible to add a LUT or use a camera response with OCIO enabled?
I know we now have to enable "forced tone mapping" for it to work, but it smooths out all the highlights and looks very strange:

OCIO sRGB
OCIO sRGB + force tone mapping

BTW, could you add the ability to import LUTs as a node in the AOV Node Editor?
We have a color grading node and a color node,
adding a LUT node will make it possible to render the "final" image without going to Photoshop.

P.S. 2020.2 is awesome!

The reason why "force tone mapping" does that to the highlights is because the built-in Octane tone mapping doesn't do proper HDR tone mapping like ACES does (I assume you're using an ACES OCIO config). Custom LUTs and camera response curves in Octane only map from a 0-1 range to a 0-1 range, and so highlights are clipped before applying them. That's why the "force tone mapping" option is disabled by default. The best way to achieve what you're trying to do would be to modify the OCIO config you're using to include the LUT/curve you want to use as an OCIO look, and then select that look when rendering. You could try to reduce the exposure to bring the highlights down, but using Octane's built-in tone mapping (especially in addition to ACES tone mapping) is unlikely to ever produce a result as good as using ACES tone mapping by itself.
karl
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby lanklaf » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:33 pm

lanklaf Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:33 pm
karu wrote:The reason why "force tone mapping" does that to the highlights is because the built-in Octane tone mapping doesn't do proper HDR tone mapping like ACES does (I assume you're using an ACES OCIO config). Custom LUTs and camera response curves in Octane only map from a 0-1 range to a 0-1 range, and so highlights are clipped before applying them. That's why the "force tone mapping" option is disabled by default. The best way to achieve what you're trying to do would be to modify the OCIO config you're using to include the LUT/curve you want to use as an OCIO look, and then select that look when rendering. You could try to reduce the exposure to bring the highlights down, but using Octane's built-in tone mapping (especially in addition to ACES tone mapping) is unlikely to ever produce a result as good as using ACES tone mapping by itself.

Uh, okay, now I understand what's going on, thanks!
ACES is awesome, but I really miss the Custom LUT option.
OCIO Looks are a good alternative, but I have no idea how to create them.
Do you have information on how to convert .CUBE files (for sRGB / REC709) to OCIO LOOK files, to make them work with ACES in Octane?
System:
lanklaf
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby karl » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:01 pm

karl Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:01 pm
lanklaf wrote:
karu wrote:The reason why "force tone mapping" does that to the highlights is because the built-in Octane tone mapping doesn't do proper HDR tone mapping like ACES does (I assume you're using an ACES OCIO config). Custom LUTs and camera response curves in Octane only map from a 0-1 range to a 0-1 range, and so highlights are clipped before applying them. That's why the "force tone mapping" option is disabled by default. The best way to achieve what you're trying to do would be to modify the OCIO config you're using to include the LUT/curve you want to use as an OCIO look, and then select that look when rendering. You could try to reduce the exposure to bring the highlights down, but using Octane's built-in tone mapping (especially in addition to ACES tone mapping) is unlikely to ever produce a result as good as using ACES tone mapping by itself.

Uh, okay, now I understand what's going on, thanks!
ACES is awesome, but I really miss the Custom LUT option.
OCIO Looks are a good alternative, but I have no idea how to create them.
Do you have information on how to convert .CUBE files to OCIO LOOK files?

I'm not an expert, but based on this documentation, cube files are supported by OCIO. According to the documentation for looks, you should be able to just drop the LUT file into the luts directory of the OCIO config, and then add this to the bottom of the config.ocio file:

Code: Select all
looks:
  - !<Look>
    name: Name goes here
    process_space: Utility - Linear - sRGB
    transform: !<FileTransform> {src: lut_filename_goes_here.cube, interpolation: linear}

This worked for me when I tested it just now. Keep in mind that if the LUT you're using only has entries over a 0-1 range, the use of the LUT may clamp the highlights anyway.
karl
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby lanklaf » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:19 pm

lanklaf Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:19 pm
karu wrote:This worked for me when I tested it just now. Keep in mind that if the LUT you're using only has entries over a 0-1 range, the use of the LUT may clamp the highlights anyway.

It works! But yes, the highlights are clamped.
Is there a way to apply the look AFTER converting from ACES to sRGB?
As we usually do in compositing software, applying a LUT on the rendered image.

OCIO Look:

Lut on Renderd file:
System:
lanklaf
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby karl » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:52 pm

karl Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:52 pm
lanklaf wrote:
karu wrote:This worked for me when I tested it just now. Keep in mind that if the LUT you're using only has entries over a 0-1 range, the use of the LUT may clamp the highlights anyway.

It works! But yes, the highlights are clamped.
Is there a way to apply the look AFTER converting from ACES to sRGB?
As we usually do in compositing software, applying a LUT on the rendered image.

I believe you would just change the process space in the look definition from "Utility - Linear - sRGB" to "Output - sRGB".
karl
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Releases