Bug with Phoenix fire and smoke

Forums: Bug with Phoenix fire and smoke
Sub forum for bug reports
Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

Bug with Phoenix fire and smoke

Postby coilbook » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:24 pm

coilbook Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:24 pm
Hi,
If I animate phoenix temperature down to where only smoke is visible smoke catches on fire even more
Attachments
sssssssssssssssss.jpg
smoke bug .rar
(12.85 MiB) Downloaded 54 times
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Bug with Phoenix fire and smoke

Postby neonZorglub » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:14 am

neonZorglub Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:14 am
coilbook wrote:Hi,
If I animate phoenix temperature down to where only smoke is visible smoke catches on fire even more

Thank you for the scene !
It had me scratch my head a bit !
The problem basically comes from the inverted Volume Ramp texture in the Emission ramp.
The color on the left should be dark, and color on the right the most bright.
Another issue is on the texture emission power; I changed from 10 to 0.01
So the Emiss. scale now works fine:
phoenix_emis_scale_ok.zip
(927.24 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

Note: the temperature values created from Phoenix are quite high, (up to ~2000.0), that's why the emission power should be small..
Hint: we can see the max value of each channel from the Octane Graph viewer, while rendering in Octane viewport, and selecting the Volume node:
for example, on frame 21, there's '131 x 179 x 107, 2509043 voxels, max abs/scat/emis: 1 / 1 / 2000

Thanks
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby coilbook » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:53 pm

coilbook Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:53 pm
neonZorglub wrote:

The problem basically comes from the inverted Volume Ramp texture in the Emission ramp.

Note: the temperature values created from Phoenix are quite high, (up to ~2000.0), that's why the emission power should be small..
Hint: we can see the max value of each channel from the Octane Graph viewer, while rendering in Octane viewport, and selecting the Volume node:
for example, on frame 21, there's '131 x 179 x 107, 2509043 voxels, max abs/scat/emis: 1 / 1 / 2000

Thanks

Thank you! Do you guys have any plans to simplify the way octane renders flames? It seems that there are too many repetitive settings in texture emission, ramp emission, and octane volume modifier. Gets confusing
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby neonZorglub » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:32 am

neonZorglub Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:32 am
coilbook wrote:
neonZorglub wrote:

Thanks

Thank you! Do you guys have any plans to simplify the way octane renders flames? It seems that there are too many repetitive settings in texture emission, ramp emission, and octane volume modifier. Gets confusing

As for the content of each node, it's designed by the engine team, and there's basically a good reason for each setting, but might be simplified / refactored over time.. For the 3dsMax side, we are planing to make sub textures editable in the object dialog, with also a configurable simplified list of parameters. That will be nice for lights, Phoenix modifiers, as well as all AOVs that can become deep and complex..
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby remKa » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:40 am

remKa Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:40 am
Hello,

it seems that volume ramp texture has no effect anymore on the look of the fire... and you removed the max grid ?

I'm using Phoenix FD and I find that convincing and nice looking flames are really hard to achieve in Octane, do you have any hint ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIclhO2aJ6M
i7 3930K / 1 EVGA Titan Black SuperClocked - 1 GTX Titan - 1 GTX 960 / 32 Gb DDR 3
http://www.remka.fr
https://twitter.com/remKa_
remKa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Bug Reports