Dirt textrue doesnt work when objects intersect

Forums: Dirt textrue doesnt work when objects intersect
Sub forum for bug reports
Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

Dirt textrue doesnt work when objects intersect

Postby coilbook » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:31 pm

coilbook Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:31 pm
Hi,
When we use an object to create a dirt texture on the terrain it must be precisely right above the terrain. If it intersects it even a bit, it creates white outline only. Cam you fix it to where even if it intersects it still leaves a solid dirt texture?
Attachments
dirt2.jpg
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Dirt textrue doesnt work when objects intersect

Postby frankmci » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:52 pm

frankmci Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:52 pm
That might cause some oddities in normal usage. Dirt is all about the intersection angles, after all. Maybe a manually produced occlusion map (Diffuse pass in a white env.) will give you more of what you expect, since intersection and distance isn't an issue. A standard AO pass can work, too, if you are willing to increase the AO distance enough, based on the distance from the occluded surface to the occluding surface. If you are normally getting them pretty close, but still not quite intersecting, that shouldn't be an issue. Once you do intersect, depending on the geometry, you might have to crank AO distance up pretty high.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-25 124706.png
Baked occlusion instead of dirt.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Dirt textrue doesnt work when objects intersect

Postby coilbook » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:59 am

coilbook Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:59 am
frankmci wrote:That might cause some oddities in normal usage. Dirt is all about the intersection angles, after all. Maybe a manually produced occlusion map (Diffuse pass in a white env.) will give you more of what you expect, since intersection and distance isn't an issue. A standard AO pass can work, too, if you are willing to increase the AO distance enough, based on the distance from the occluded surface to the occluding surface. If you are normally getting them pretty close, but still not quite intersecting, that shouldn't be an issue. Once you do intersect, depending on the geometry, you might have to crank AO distance up pretty high.

Thank you!
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Bug Reports