Object space mapping is broken

Forums: Object space mapping is broken
Sub forum for bug reports
Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

Object space mapping is broken

Postby senorpablo » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:14 pm

senorpablo Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:14 pm
I'm rendering an animation and am having issues with object space mapping. What I'm seeing is that object space mapping behaves like world space mapping. In other words, the texture doesn't maintain position relative to a moving object. Rather, it behaves like world space mapping, where the textures appears to remain fixed in space, and scrolls across a moving object.

After searching, I've found a thread in a Modo forum whereby someone describes that movable proxy needs to be enabled for object space mapping to work correctly on animated objects. It does seem to solve the problem.

In addition to object space mapping not working as expected, the scale changes (presumably if there's a scale transform on the object).

Object space mapping is a straightforward concept which Octane's implementation doesn't live up to. It's inconsistent and unintuitive. Regardless of the underlying technical reasons for this, from a users perspective, I'd like to see a more elegant solution. Movable proxies can slow down Octane viewport significantly. Object space mapping should just work as the name implies, without having to know about a secret check box.
senorpablo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Bug Reports