OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v2023.1 - 14.05

Forums: OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v2023.1 - 14.05
Sub forum for plugin releases
Forum rules
Any bugs related to this plugin should be reported to the Bug Reports sub-forum.
Bugs related to Octane itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

Re: OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v2023.1 - 14.05

Postby PromotsAdmin » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:37 am

PromotsAdmin Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:37 am
Hi,
when using the post processing effect, it wont render if I'm opening a max scene and start to render, it only renders if I'm running the "octane render viewport" first.
the problem is that when I'm using a render manager (deadline) to render the scene, its rendering without the post processing effect and post processing render element saved as black frames.
can someone verify if its a bug?

Thanks
PromotsAdmin.
PromotsAdmin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby neonZorglub » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:50 am

neonZorglub Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:50 am
PromotsAdmin wrote:Hi,
when using the post processing effect, it wont render if I'm opening a max scene and start to render, it only renders if I'm running the "octane render viewport" first.
the problem is that when I'm using a render manager (deadline) to render the scene, its rendering without the post processing effect and post processing render element saved as black frames.

Thanks
PromotsAdmin.

Hi PromotsAdmin,

Thank you for reporting this issue.
I could reproduce it. I understand you are referring to the Post volume effect map that can be set in the Vol. effects of the post processing..
It is indeed sent correctly only when using the Octane viewport. Sorry about that!
That will be fixed in the next release.

Note that the orbx export is also incorrect..
Thanks
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby PromotsAdmin » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:39 am

PromotsAdmin Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:39 am
neonZorglub wrote:

Thanks
PromotsAdmin.

Hi PromotsAdmin,

I could reproduce it. I understand you are referring to the Post volume effect map that can be set in the Vol. effects of the post processing..
It is indeed sent correctly only when using the Octane viewport. Sorry about that!

Thanks

Hi neonZorbglub
Its Happening even without the post volume effect map
after I'm opening the Octane viewport I have to play a bit with the values in order to get the effect to render via the render setup window.
and no matter what I do, I can't get the effect to render as a separate render element, its always returning black
Please see the attached screen recording.

Thanks
PromotsAdmin.
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] 2023-11-29_10-22-21.mp4 [ 11.9 MiB | Viewed 897 times ]

PromotsAdmin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby neonZorglub » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:27 am

neonZorglub Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:27 am
Hi PromotsAdmin,
Thank you for the video.
That's indeed another problem. It seems related to ACES tone mapping.. When disabled, the effects works fine with normal render (at first, eg just after loading the scene), then, if enabled and disabled again, it's still broken..
I'll investigate more, and will try to have a fix soon.

Thanks

PromotsAdmin wrote:
neonZorglub wrote:

Thanks
PromotsAdmin.

Hi PromotsAdmin,

Thanks

Hi neonZorbglub
Its Happening even without the post volume effect map
after I'm opening the Octane viewport I have to play a bit with the values in order to get the effect to render via the render setup window.
and no matter what I do, I can't get the effect to render as a separate render element, its always returning black
Please see the attached screen recording.

Thanks
PromotsAdmin.
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby coilbook » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:54 pm

coilbook Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:54 pm
Hello,
We are still having an issue with the denoiser. Why rendering overall gets slower by a factor of 2 even though we chose denoise on completion. So rendering itself should have the same speed whether denoiser is on or off Thank you
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby neonZorglub » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:46 am

neonZorglub Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:46 am
coilbook wrote:Hello,
We are still having an issue with the denoiser. Why rendering overall gets slower by a factor of 2 even though we chose denoise on completion. So rendering itself should have the same speed whether denoiser is on or off Thank you

Hi coilbook,
As far as I know, the denoiser is a separate process that runs in parallel to the rendering, taking input images while they are generated.
I guess that there is still some part of the denoising that is done while the render progress, even if denoise on completion is selected..
I will test with 3dsMax and with Stand Alone, to make sure the Max version don't add un-necessary steps..
Thanks
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby neonZorglub » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:15 pm

neonZorglub Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:15 pm
neonZorglub wrote:
coilbook wrote:Hello,

Hi coilbook,
As far as I know, the denoiser is a separate process that runs in parallel to the rendering, taking input images while they are generated.
I guess that there is still some part of the denoising that is done while the render progress, even if denoise on completion is selected..
I will test with 3dsMax and with Stand Alone, to make sure the Max version don't add un-necessary steps..
Thanks

Hi coilbook,
I tested a medium size scene, and got a render time with denoiser around 5 % longer than without denoiser.
I think the denoising do not take excessively more time, but it might take quite some memory. If you reach some memory limit, the system will have to move things around, and that might take some time..
I'm not sure if it's more a graphic card's VRAM or system RAM limit, you could try with different values of the Out of core memory settings..

To get more detail, you can go in Octane Preferences, Trouble shooting, and enable "Enable Extra Log', and 'Enable render performance report'
Render 1 frame, and wait for the render to finish, then edit the log file (Tools / Edit Octane Plugin Log file)

There are memory information before and after the render, and between, a 'Performance report'
In my case, it looks like that:
* Performance report (Wasserwerk_PerfTest01.max, Normal Render) [frame 0], total time : 184.47 sec
* Primitives: 9426965, Meshes: 719, Voxels: 0
---- Memory usage (Post frame render) ----
25 percent of memory in use.
33.16 GB used / 127.75 GB total of physical memory
54.58 GB used / 146.75 GB total of paging file
159.05 GB used / 131072.00 GB total of virtual memory
Out Of Core memory: Enabled = 1, used=53.41 MB, maxi=10.80 GB, used.b.oct=8.81 GB, tot.used=33.16 GB, totRam=127.75 GB
gpuHeadroomBytes=100.00 MB

Note the 'total time :',and the 'used.b.oct' (that's the system RAM used by Octane)

Do the same with and without denoiser, and see if it looks like approaching some limits ('totRam' / total of physical memory)

To have a look at the VRAM usage, it's better to open the Octane Viewport, and, while rendering, open the 'Octane Device Settings in Render setup / Devices..

I checked the same sample, exported as orbx, and rendered with Stand Alone, and got similar results (about 10 % slower with denoiser)

I hope that helps
Thanks
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Previous

Return to Releases