OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v2023.1 - 14.04

Forums: OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v2023.1 - 14.04
Sub forum for plugin releases
Forum rules
Any bugs related to this plugin should be reported to the Bug Reports sub-forum.
Bugs related to Octane itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

Re: OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v2023.1 - 14.04

Postby PromotsAdmin » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:20 am

PromotsAdmin Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:20 am
neonZorglub wrote:
PromotsAdmin wrote:what about the issue that all renders sent to deadline fails to render (deadline used as a batch render manager on a single local workstation. not network rendering)
PromotsAdmin

Hi PromotsAdmin,
-Could you check and confirm that rendering your same scene with 14.03 was working fine ?
-One change in 14.04 that could influence this is the Deferred Load, that has been explicitly disabled.
You can try to force it Enabled, in Octane Preferences / Trouble Shooting / Plugin Deferred Load

Is there any error message / log that could help understanding the issue ?
You could also contact Deadline's customer support, they might be able to help locating the issue.
(We had other issues with Deadline previously for another plugin, and they recommender to contact their support team..)

I'm not familiar with Deadline, and can't test it currently..
As far as I understand, it has it's own plugin for max, as well as a separate application, is that correct ?
One issue could be the order in witch the max plugins are loaded (Octane plugin vs Deadline plugin).
If the Deferred option do not help, and if both plugins are in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max XXXX\Plugins\ , you could try to rename Octane3dsmax.dlr as ___Octane3dsmax.dlr or zzz_Octane3dsmax.dlr ... I'm not sure that plugins are loaded from alphabetic order, but it's worth a try..

Thanks

Hi neonZorglob.
I've jumped from 2022.1.1_-_13.21 version to 2023.1_-_14.04.
on 2022.1.1_-_13.21 version it worked fine.
enabling Deferred Load didn't resolve the issue nor changing the .dlr name.
deadline is a separate application but there is a script that gives the user the option to submit max scenes to deadlines que straight within max UI
also tried to load the render as a workstation and not as a service and came up with the same result.
I've attached the error log file and I will try to contact Deadline's customer support as well.
if you have other ideas I would happy to try ;)
Thanks
PromotsAdmin
Attachments
Job_2023-11-08_10-54-13_654b4cb5cbd7213144d3da36.txt
(32.42 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
PromotsAdmin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rik » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:10 am

Rik Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:10 am
Octane scatter doesn't work.
I'm using max14.
Where you could previously add an object to be the surface or an object to scatter, it now just says 'node' and nothing happens.
Can't even see an option for adding an object to be the bounding volume for the volume scatter.

Loaded an old scene and it renders the scatter but the slots for selecting just say 'node'
Screenshot 2023-11-08 110841.jpg
Rik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby neonZorglub » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:12 am

neonZorglub Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:12 am
Rik wrote:Octane scatter doesn't work.
I'm using max14.
Where you could previously add an object to be the surface or an object to scatter, it now just says 'node' and nothing happens.
Can't even see an option for adding an object to be the bounding volume for the volume scatter.

Loaded an old scene and it renders the scatter but the slots for selecting just say 'node'
The attachment Screenshot 2023-11-08 110841.jpg is no longer available

Hi Rik,
I can't test with max 2014 at this time .. it might be a UI issue..
When you click once on a node button, the bottom line information should change from "Click and drag to select and move objects", to "Pick a geometry node"
Do you see something like that ?:
pick_a_geometry_node.png
pick_a_geometry_node.png (7.33 KiB) Viewed 983 times

Also, could you try to open the maxScript 'Scripting Listener', select the ScatterVolume object, and type
$.input1 = Box()

This should create a box, and assign it to the first node..
try to de-select and re-select the ScatterVolume object, and see if there's a Box001 on the first node ?
If not, try rendering anyway, to see if there's a box .. ?

Also, could you try to turn on/off Preference / User interface / Expand Object Dialogs width [Experimental] ?
It may change the way those buttons behave ...

Thanks
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rik » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:45 am

Rik Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:45 am
Thanks Neon.
That works. Was looking for a way to select the envelope object to 'hold' the scattered objects (like with the scatter surface...) Hadn't realised it was done like this. Is there a tutorial anywhere, like the C4D ones on you tube? Couldn't even find anything in the manual.

For the shape of the envlope, selecting anything other than a box makes no difference to the shape. Thought selecting cylinder would make a cylindrical envelope but it does nothing.
Have I missed something?

Also, can't see an option for 'Expand Object Dialogs width [Experimental] '
Am I looking in the right place?

Cheers
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-11-09 093709.jpg
Rik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby neonZorglub » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:59 pm

neonZorglub Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:59 pm
Rik wrote:Thanks Neon.
That works. Was looking for a way to select the envelope object to 'hold' the scattered objects (like with the scatter surface...) Hadn't realised it was done like this. Is there a tutorial anywhere, like the C4D ones on you tube? Couldn't even find anything in the manual.

For the shape of the envlope, selecting anything other than a box makes no difference to the shape. Thought selecting cylinder would make a cylindrical envelope but it does nothing.
Have I missed something?

Cheers

Hi Rik,

Good to know that it works, thanks.
Sorry, no tutorial for those scatter nodes for max.. But the parameters are the same as Stand alone and other plugins.. The final result should be the same.. There is just this node selection that I tried to make in the standard 3dsMax way to select another object..

For the shape, you need to have the 3 Offsets set to non zero ..
To have a 'un-scalled' shape, those offsets should be inverse-proportional to the Dimensions
(for a Box shape with dimensions 10,10,20, to be a cube the offset should be something like 100,100,50)

scVolume05.max - Max 2020_Box_Cube.png

scVolume05.max - Max 2020_Cylinder.png

scVolume05.max - Max 2020_Cone.png

For 'Expand Object Dialogs width [Experimental] ', sorry, that's only from 3dsMax 2018. Previous versions don't have a resizable object panel..

Thanks
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby PromotsAdmin » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:50 am

PromotsAdmin Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:50 am
neonZorglub wrote:
PromotsAdmin wrote:what about the issue that all renders sent to deadline fails to render (deadline used as a batch render manager on a single local workstation. not network rendering)
PromotsAdmin

Hi PromotsAdmin,
-Could you check and confirm that rendering your same scene with 14.03 was working fine ?
-One change in 14.04 that could influence this is the Deferred Load, that has been explicitly disabled.
You can try to force it Enabled, in Octane Preferences / Trouble Shooting / Plugin Deferred Load

You could also contact Deadline's customer support, they might be able to help locating the issue.
(We had other issues with Deadline previously for another plugin, and they recommender to contact their support team..)

As far as I understand, it has it's own plugin for max, as well as a separate application, is that correct ?
One issue could be the order in witch the max plugins are loaded (Octane plugin vs Deadline plugin).
If the Deferred option do not help, and if both plugins are in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max XXXX\Plugins\ , you could try to rename Octane3dsmax.dlr as ___Octane3dsmax.dlr or zzz_Octane3dsmax.dlr ... I'm not sure that plugins are loaded from alphabetic order, but it's worth a try..

Thanks

I've upgraded to the latest version of deadline and installed the new max submitter and everything works fine now :-)
PromotsAdmin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rik » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:57 pm

Rik Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:57 pm
neonZorglub wrote:
Rik wrote:Thanks Neon.

Have I missed something?

Cheers

Hi Rik,

Good to know that it works, thanks.
Sorry, no tutorial for those scatter nodes for max.. But the parameters are the same as Stand alone and other plugins.. The final result should be the same.. There is just this node selection that I tried to make in the standard 3dsMax way to select another object..

For the shape, you need to have the 3 Offsets set to non zero ..
To have a 'un-scalled' shape, those offsets should be inverse-proportional to the Dimensions
(for a Box shape with dimensions 10,10,20, to be a cube the offset should be something like 100,100,50)

The attachment scVolume05.max - Max 2020_Box_Cube.png is no longer available

The attachment scVolume05.max - Max 2020_Cylinder.png is no longer available

The attachment scVolume05.max - Max 2020_Cone.png is no longer available

For 'Expand Object Dialogs width [Experimental] ', sorry, that's only from 3dsMax 2018. Previous versions don't have a resizable object panel..

Thanks

Thanks Neon - think I've figured it out. I now have Octane volume scattered snowflakes! :D

Oakham 10th Nov 2023_01_.jpg
Rik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ramone163 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:04 pm

ramone163 Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:04 pm
PromotsAdmin wrote:
neonZorglub wrote:
PromotsAdmin

Hi PromotsAdmin,

Thanks

I've upgraded to the latest version of deadline and installed the new max submitter and everything works fine now :-)

I have the exact same problem. I tried to install Deadline-10.3.0.15 and the new max submitter. Without success. Scanline, Vray and Corona renders works, Octane doesn't.
GPU: 980+1080+1080Ti; 3ds max;
Behance portfolio; Handmadefont.com;
ramone163
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby neonZorglub » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:10 pm

neonZorglub Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:10 pm
ramone163 wrote:I have the exact same problem. I tried to install Deadline-10.3.0.15 and the new max submitter. Without success. Scanline, Vray and Corona renders works, Octane doesn't.

Hi ramone163,

-Is there some error / log that could help understand the issue ?
-Now that you installed the latest Deadline, could you also try to re-install the Octane plugin ?
-Just to eliminate the potential cause of file path issues, could you try with the simplest scene (like a teapot with a Diffuse material with Color), no ocio in Preferences, no .cube in imager, no Render element, no animation, basic output as png, etc..
-What version of 3dsMax are you using ?
@PromotsAdmin : what version of 3dsMax did you successfully use ?

You could also contact the Deadline support, they might have more ways to investigate the issue.

Thanks
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby PromotsAdmin » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:14 am

PromotsAdmin Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:14 am
neonZorglub wrote:
ramone163 wrote:I have the exact same problem. I tried to install Deadline-10.3.0.15 and the new max submitter. Without success. Scanline, Vray and Corona renders works, Octane doesn't.

Hi ramone163,

-Is there some error / log that could help understand the issue ?
-Now that you installed the latest Deadline, could you also try to re-install the Octane plugin ?
-Just to eliminate the potential cause of file path issues, could you try with the simplest scene (like a teapot with a Diffuse material with Color), no ocio in Preferences, no .cube in imager, no Render element, no animation, basic output as png, etc..
-What version of 3dsMax are you using ?
@PromotsAdmin : what version of 3dsMax did you successfully use ?

You could also contact the Deadline support, they might have more ways to investigate the issue.

Thanks

Hi,
the issue occurred when I tried to render with the SMTD(submit max to deadline)script in max 2021 and it failed to render, then I install the latest version of deadline and it still failed to render with the SMTD, so I install the SMTD(3dsCmd) and with that it renders successfully.

Then I switched to max 2024 and it failed to render with both submitters, I've contacted deadline support and from the data in the error log file the suspected that the python script execution was blocked by 3dsMax and ask me to take the following steps:

"If you trust the source of Python script it is trying to run then you can safely define an environment variable ADSK_3DSMAX_SAFE_SCENE to 0 on the Job at the time of submission. Unfortunately If you add the code in the plugin (3dsMax.py) It will handle all the similar exceptions and we might run into a success where there is actually an error.

Here are some points of how to configure your scene/render with safe scene feature turned off.: https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray-fo ... ost1108912

Look for the information around the environment variable I have mentioned."

I'm not a tech guy and I don't really understand what's that means and what I'm suppose to do, but since then I've upgraded to max 2024.2 and it render successfully with SMTD(3dsCmd) (still failing with SMTD) So I didn't try what they've suggested (yet).

regards
PromotsAdmin.
PromotsAdmin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Releases