Some small bugs and a feature request

Forums: Some small bugs and a feature request
Carrara (Integrated Plugin developed by Sighman)

Re: Some small bugs and a feature request

Postby protovu » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:16 pm

protovu Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:16 pm
ok....Now my brain is doing push-ups....
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tschwenke » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:58 pm

tschwenke Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:58 pm
Me too.... or we should just not use Alpha images :lol:
http://www.thomas-schwenke.me
Houdini 18.5 || Win10 || i7 + 1 x RTX3080
tschwenke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sighman » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:07 am

Sighman Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:07 am
There is no mystery. It is simply that all textures are offered for any texture channel regardless of whether it is useful in that context or not. Diffuse, bump, specular, opacity are all texture channels therefore all octane textures are applicable. One way you might use an alpha image in diffuse is as the pattern for a mix texture.
Win8/64, I7-4770K (3.5Ghz) 24GB, GTX-980ti (6GB) / GTX-TITAN (6GB)
Sighman
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby protovu » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:30 pm

protovu Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:30 pm
Thanks for your patience. Now I know. ...
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sighman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:04 pm

Sighman Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:04 pm
tschwenke wrote:Hi Simon,

First, let me say, that the OR plugin does work really great. Very good job as far as I can tell :)

I just noticed some bugs during my daily work. I use 3.05.01.31. Below, I listed them. Those are all minor bugs, so it's not really a big problem to have a work around. At the end, there is a feature request. Perhaps you can make it work.

Multipass render
Images are saved as Bla_passBeauty.png.png - so, the extension comes in as a double team :)

This looks like a bug in the Octane code. I will fix by ignoring the ".%e' term of the image format string.
tschwenke wrote:Scatter object (CSV files)
When several scatter objects are placed into a group, and the group is given an Object Layer Modifier (e.g. Layer ID = 3), it's not possible to render only this layer (=3) in the viewport.

This looks like my bug. I will fix.
tschwenke wrote:Scatter object (CSV files)
Scaling is a problem. When placing a VDB file into the scene, it has the correct dimensions. When a CSV file is imported, it hasn't the correct dimensions, so I have to scale it. Is there a way to import it with the correct dimensions as in the case of a VDB file (= Fixed scale)?

I have no basis in which to scale a CSV file. I suggest you make sure the export scale you use is meters.
tschwenke wrote:VDB
Changing a value in the import settings does not update the OR view port. E.g. changing the Emission grid from "Heat" to "Temperature" does not update the OR view port. It seems that it does (because it renders again), but it doesn't.

This looks like my bug. I will fix.
tschwenke wrote:Some shaders do not work as expected
Some shaders from the Octane Live Database does not seem to work. If I apply the Lava shader from the Misc section, it doesn't look like Lava at all.

Nothing I can do. The posted material is broken. Try loading the material in the standalone to see if it actually works. (Hot Lava does not work). Complain to the user that posted the material.
tschwenke wrote:Alembic import/export
Exporting alembic files via "Generate Animation" works quite well. Is there a way we could incorporate an Alembic importer? It should just import the file in the same dimension as it exported it.

This is not trivial. Alembics can have multiple inputs and outputs. Not all inputs are materials. I would need to write a rather complex import tool to get this to work. This is not currently on my radar.
Win8/64, I7-4770K (3.5Ghz) 24GB, GTX-980ti (6GB) / GTX-TITAN (6GB)
Sighman
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby tschwenke » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:51 pm

tschwenke Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:51 pm
Hi Simon,

Great to hear that.

I will fix by ignoring the ".%e' term of the image format string.

Tried that by deleting .%e already, but that wouldn't work. It gave me just a single picture, no animation. So please make sure that it's really working :)

I have no basis in which to scale a CSV file. I suggest you make sure the export scale you use is meters.

Of course. What a dumb statement by me :shock:

Complain to the user that posted the material.

Hmm, ok :)

This is not trivial. Alembics can have multiple inputs and outputs.

Oh, ok. I thought it would be easy because you already import it for motion blur reasons. Will try to find a work around. Alembic is just so fast ;)

Best wishes,
Thomas
http://www.thomas-schwenke.me
Houdini 18.5 || Win10 || i7 + 1 x RTX3080
tschwenke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Carrara