my first Octane demo reel

Forums: my first Octane demo reel
Carrara (Integrated Plugin developed by Sighman)

my first Octane demo reel

Postby protovu » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:58 pm

protovu Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:58 pm
Hello Fellow CarraraOctaners,

Your advisement is welcome regarding my first full Octane Demo Reel, at
http://www.protovu.com/.
I am aware of a few focus issues ( actually sort of like them), and please know that this is all done with Direct Lighting.
I will be getting into Path and PMC going forward, as time allows.

Particle effects were done with Pycloid, Fountains, and Blender (obj export). I will probably be looking more to Blender for this sort of thing.
Any other ideas on particles?

Thank you for taking a look, and thank you to Simon and Octane for allowing Carrara to let us get to another level,
Rick
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: my first Octane demo reel

Postby rashadcarter » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:27 pm

rashadcarter Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:27 pm
Darned impressive I'd say. Very good for Direct Lighting! Inspirational.
rashadcarter
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby protovu » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:06 pm

protovu Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:06 pm
Thank you, Rashad! Most kind of you, and I appreciate the encouragement.
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tschwenke » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:08 pm

tschwenke Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:08 pm
Hi,

Looks very cool. Samples should be increased though :)

Best wishes,
Thomas
http://www.thomas-schwenke.me
Houdini 18.5 || Win10 || i7 + 1 x RTX3080
tschwenke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby protovu » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:08 pm

protovu Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:08 pm
Thanks, Thomas. What is the typical recommended sampling for this sort of animation? Also, if I get into other than Direct lighting.......seriously slow rendering.
If you know of ways to speed up PMC or Path, please let me know.
Rick
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tschwenke » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:29 pm

tschwenke Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:29 pm
Hi,

well, first of all, you should get yourself a render farm of at least one computer where you can render your scenes. I bought a "slow" system with a GTX 980. Works quite well :) / You may also considering using GPUBox (see Octane license agreement). Open GPUBox (also called GPUBox open) is available for free. Furthermore, I usually use Render Passes (different layers) to speed up the process. I often use a gaussian blur in the postprocessing (e.g. in AE). So, I render the foreground first, afterwards I render the background. Then I apply a gaussian blur to the background to reduce the noise/grain. That works quite well :)

But I think, it's important to try out different settings :) / Octane render has much to offer. Thanks to Sighman we can make use of this great software in Carrara :)

Best wishes,
Thomas
tschwenke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby protovu » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:25 pm

protovu Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:25 pm
tschwenke wrote:Hi,

well, first of all, you should get yourself a render farm of at least one computer where you can render your scenes. I bought a "slow" system with a GTX 980. Works quite well :) / You may also considering using GPUBox (see Octane license agreement). Open GPUBox (also called GPUBox open) is available for free. Furthermore, I usually use Render Passes (different layers) to speed up the process. I often use a gaussian blur in the postprocessing (e.g. in AE). So, I render the foreground first, afterwards I render the background. Then I apply a gaussian blur to the background to reduce the noise/grain. That works quite well :)

But I think, it's important to try out different settings :) / Octane render has much to offer. Thanks to Sighman we can make use of this great software in Carrara :)

Best wishes,
Thomas

Thank you, Thomas. Lots to wrap my brain around here. This is what you are referring to? .......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf8q4iXXtH4
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tschwenke » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:31 am

tschwenke Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:31 am
Hi,

Yes, that's what I mean. You can also create an own render farm. However, Octane is a little bit slow on that one. They modified their licenses; so you are not allowed to use virtual GPUs with Octane. As far as I know, Octane 3 won't let you use it at all. I really wait for a decent price range, because, currently, you have to buy a new license for each network node. That's just too much :,(

I eagerly wait for Octane Render Cloud or another price for Network rendering :)

Right now, Octane is the best renderer out there - imho, but the price for render nodes must go down! And Octane Render Cloud must come soon!!! :)

Best wishes,
Thomas
tschwenke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tschwenke » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:28 pm

tschwenke Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:28 pm
Hi,
Just another idea. You may also use Altus 1.3 by innobright. I'm too dumb for it but the results look quite amazing. Octane 3.1 might ship with it!? You may also use Neat image or Neat video :)
Best wishes,
Thomas
tschwenke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby protovu » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:44 pm

protovu Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:44 pm
Thank you, Thomas. I had no idea these Altus and Neat products existed. So amazing how these brilliant programmers can come up with such amazing products. For my part, I am weary about going down yet another path that requires more brain power. And, I have not gotten into rendering much in layers. Occasionally, I will do alpha renders.
So this is probably one of those things I may chip away at,
but the idea of an integrated noise filter within Octane for Carrara......yes, please!
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Carrara