Octane motion blur on moving car issue

Forums: Octane motion blur on moving car issue
Area for student license holders to post questions and discuss octane.

Octane motion blur on moving car issue

Postby carolinafilms » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:39 pm

carolinafilms Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:39 pm
I'm having an issue with motion blur on a moving car not working correctly. The motion blur is being adding to the entire car, not just the wheels and the background.

I have a car model rigged with the Cinema 4D character rigging tool. The octane camera is a child of the car so it moves with it. I applied an octane tag to the car geometry, but the motion blur still appears over the entire car.

What can I do to get the motion blur to look correct (wheel rotation/background moving)? I've tried removing all motion blur and applying motion blur in after effects, but it doesn't look correct.

Screenshots Attached
Attachments
screenshot 3.PNG
screenshot 2.PNG
screenshot 1.PNG
carolinafilms

Re: Octane motion blur on moving car issue

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:11 am

bepeg4d Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:11 am
Hi,
I think that you need to have the Camera as child of the Audi R8 group, now it is in a different group than geometry.

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby elsksa » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:42 pm

elsksa Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:42 pm
The explanation seems ambiguous.

Without seeing the animation, it is to be assumed that the motion blur works correctly as there may not be any resulting motion blur depending on how camera is animated (tracking, parallax, etc).

Could it be the case?

The rest is as beppe mentioned.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby carolinafilms » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:52 pm

carolinafilms Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:52 pm
So I found a fix! The camera needed to be parented to the actual car geometry group, like bepe said, not the Cinema4D car rig "body." The wheels needed an octane tag with motion blur set to transform/vertex, and the body geometry (separate from camera) needed an octane tag as well!
carolinafilms

Postby digitalcompositing » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:01 am

digitalcompositing Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:01 am
heyo! how do you get the MB correct on the City in trhe background? it just doesn't work for me .. i am driving a car along a spline in with a c4d car rig ... frustrating!
digitalcompositing
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:43 am

aoktar Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:43 am
digitalcompositing wrote:heyo! how do you get the MB correct on the City in trhe background? it just doesn't work for me .. i am driving a car along a spline in with a c4d car rig ... frustrating!

It's not a complex topic. But logic is different than traditional renderer's approach. You're not defining the motion blur effect, telling the which parts are moving. You need to tell objects which have motion and activate motion blur from camera tag. That's all! You don't need to put tag to static geometries. Octane will do job if you export correctly
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby frankmci » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:36 pm

frankmci Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:36 pm
digitalcompositing wrote:heyo! how do you get the MB correct on the City in trhe background? it just doesn't work for me .. i am driving a car along a spline in with a c4d car rig ... frustrating!

While your hierarchy may be deeper and have more branches, the basic structure remains the same. The background objects should blur properly without any special attention.

Also, remember that the Live Viewer isn't designed to accurately produce motion blur. Use the Picture Viewer to check that.
Attachments
CarBlur.png
Camera on Car Blur Hierarchy
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion