New PC - ready for Octane?

Forums: New PC - ready for Octane?
Area for student license holders to post questions and discuss octane.

New PC - ready for Octane?

Postby emttax » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:20 pm

emttax Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:20 pm
hi folks,

this is my configuration i put togehter...
http://s14.directupload.net/images/141105/he98e3xj.png
(adding a 3tb hdd from my old pc)

i mainly need this pc for 3d (c4d) and some 2d stuff (ae)
im planning on switching to octane / starting to learn and buy octane when i get my new pc so i'm asking for some advices on my configuration in terms of compability to octane and in general if you would change some things to make it "better".
(budget-wise i can spend some more if it helps improve and is worth the money)

hope to get some feedback for my configuaration im planning on buying!
cheers!
emttax
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: New PC - ready for Octane?

Postby kavorka » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:12 pm

kavorka Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:12 pm
for Octane the only thing that really matters is your GPU. the 970 doesn't get the best performance. They are working on improvements for that card but they aren't in the current version.
A 780Ti or Titan would give you better performance.
Intel quad core i5 @ 4.0 ghz | 8 gigs of Ram | Geforce GTX 470 - 1.25 gigs of Ram
kavorka
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:43 pm

glimpse Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:43 pm
hi, emttax,

There's no good or bad, just the one that fits Your needs or not!
compatibility is one thing while performance & value is different =)

If You look to spend around that amount of money for computer,
I have few questions for You:

* How important is CPU power for You in other work You do?

(You can get 4cores, OC, get and AIO, All In One, liquid cooler, or big metal piece & You'll get more or less similar performance like Your chosen CPU out of the box)

* if You go X99 route, You'll spend more on DDR4 (nothing bad if You need, the question: Do You? 'cos You're going to pay more..)

By no means I'm saying that You made wrong choice, just asking whether You know what You're doing & what's Your reasoning behind this =) for instance 5820k needs X99 and more expensive motherboard, but it has lanes (28 instead of 40 on his bigger brothers..)

* case is nice, it has plenty of airflow if HDD brackets are removed..haven't study it inside-out, but I'd advice to look for good reviews online to familiarise Yourself with it =)

* now if You look for more Octane Fitted build You might want multiple GPU with time (or at least separate one for the screen, as X99 supported CPUs doesn't have iGPU) for multiGPU Your PSU might be a bit on the low side =) haven't looked at connectors, but I guess with You current setup two cards will be the most You can have..

(so here's the question again, do You need X99, maybe You're better to go with Z97 + better GPU . You'll get iGPU to drive the screen while rendering, but if that will be too weak for daily use on other heavy task, You can always connect Your screen into GPU itself =)

* last but not GPUs =) well, Maxwell is still working strangely, better than at the beginning though.Don't look at naming.. 980 isn't successor of 780 - later one was the beast, while this 980 is probably going to be just a mid-line for Kepler architecture =) price is good, but if You would like to have headache free life now, 780(TI) is better choice.

If You are looking to work with bigger resolutions or probably more complex models, I'd start to look for even 6GB card right away (780 6gb or Titan(Black), though even 3GB is more than enough for to start with Octane =)
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby emttax » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:36 am

emttax Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:36 am
glimpse wrote:hi, emttax,

There's no good or bad, just the one that fits Your needs or not!
compatibility is one thing while performance & value is different =)

If You look to spend around that amount of money for computer,
I have few questions for You:

* How important is CPU power for You in other work You do?

(You can get 4cores, OC, get and AIO, All In One, liquid cooler, or big metal piece & You'll get more or less similar performance like Your chosen CPU out of the box)

its not that important when ill be switching to octane but i still have some projects to finish with the cinema cpu based renderer and will have some projects in the future which ill need to render with the inbuild renderers of c4d as well...thats why i dont want to go low on cpu power

* if You go X99 route, You'll spend more on DDR4 (nothing bad if You need, the question: Do You? 'cos You're going to pay more..)

By no means I'm saying that You made wrong choice, just asking whether You know what You're doing & what's Your reasoning behind this =) for instance 5820k needs X99 and more expensive motherboard, but it has lanes (28 instead of 40 on his bigger brothers..)

to be honest i dont have a reason behind this ...i just went with it because its the latest (technology-wise). if you dont think that it makes sense it would be great if you could recommend another board, cpu and so on.

* case is nice, it has plenty of airflow if HDD brackets are removed..haven't study it inside-out, but I'd advice to look for good reviews online to familiarise Yourself with it =)

will do!

* now if You look for more Octane Fitted build You might want multiple GPU with time (or at least separate one for the screen, as X99 supported CPUs doesn't have iGPU) for multiGPU Your PSU might be a bit on the low side =) haven't looked at connectors, but I guess with You current setup two cards will be the most You can have..

(so here's the question again, do You need X99, maybe You're better to go with Z97 + better GPU . You'll get iGPU to drive the screen while rendering, but if that will be too weak for daily use on other heavy task, You can always connect Your screen into GPU itself =)

i dont need x99! just to clarify that ;)
which board do you recommend which has the option to use even more than 2 gpu's (when the time comes and i want to upgrade to multiple gpus)?
how much power my psu needs to have for i.e. 2 gpus? should i go with 700w?

* last but not GPUs =) well, Maxwell is still working strangely, better than at the beginning though.Don't look at naming.. 980 isn't successor of 780 - later one was the beast, while this 980 is probably going to be just a mid-line for Kepler architecture =) price is good, but if You would like to have headache free life now, 780(TI) is better choice.

If You are looking to work with bigger resolutions or probably more complex models, I'd start to look for even 6GB card right away (780 6gb or Titan(Black), though even 3GB is more than enough for to start with Octane =)

ok! as im a beginner with octane im thinking of buying a 780 6gb or ti to start with. but i want to keep the option to buy and work with 2 graphiccards in the future when things get heavier so which board, cpu, gpu, psu (did i forget something?) should i go with in first place?

kavorka wrote:for Octane the only thing that really matters is your GPU. the 970 doesn't get the best performance. They are working on improvements for that card but they aren't in the current version.
A 780Ti or Titan would give you better performance.

ok!
emttax
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby emttax » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:44 pm

emttax Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:44 pm
push push ;)
emttax
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer