Help a n00b :)

Forums: Help a n00b :)
Discussion forum for ORBX on OTOY's Amazon AMIs

Help a n00b :)

Postby itstwitnit » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:35 am

itstwitnit Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:35 am
I am a GIANT n00b at this, so here goes.

This is what I am assuming about ORBX: I buy it on AWS, start it up, and I have a full Windows environment. I download Steam and the like, get a game, and play. And I pay $1-2 for the couple hours I play each day.

Am I correct? Please help, as this would really help.
itstwitnit

Re: Help a n00b :)

Postby charliex » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:45 am

charliex Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:45 am
That is more or less it.
charliex
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby MarkEdmondson » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:55 pm

MarkEdmondson Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:55 pm
Could I jump on n00b dom here and then ask what the next step would be. I have tried the above, and can connect and show applications in the browser (which is great), but when I try to play games downloaded from Steam, I'm getting configuration issues.

Is this due to the 3D Nvidia card not being compatible yet with these games? To demo I'm trying out Crusader Kings 2, Civ 5 and Deus Ex : Revolutions.

I'm using the AutoDesk version of AWS instance: https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B ... 6356934263

I've launched on a g2.2xlarge instance from Europe, Ireland (I'm based in Copenhagen). Latency is generally good.

I've connected via Remote Desktop and the browser, the Remote Desktop has almost no lag, the browser has bleeded out colours and more lag. I'm browsing from a MacBook Air.

Launching Civ5 in DX11 I get a black screen and it trying to do something, then hangs.

Launching DeusEx I can't select screen resolutions in the setup options, or when trying in windowed mode hangs and gives up.

Launching Crusader Kings 2 I get the launcher but then crash to desktop.

--

Maybe I just need to wait for this other cloud service coming up mentioned in other threads, but the allure of being able to play PC gaming via my Air is to much for me :)

Could anyone suggest a solution for the above? I'm thinking either firewalls or some server settings from the AWS instance, incompatibiltiy of the NVIDIA drivers or something else.

Yours sincerely,
Mark
MarkEdmondson

Postby MarkEdmondson » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:37 pm

MarkEdmondson Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:37 pm
If anyone is interested I got this working, the Gotcha was that logging in via Remote Desktop forces the instance to use the default graphics card, which is not the Nvidia one. You need to disable this and force it to use Nvidia, and login via a different method like TeamViewer to adjust graphic card settings.

Details about this were found here - https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.js ... 85&#500885 and I screenshotted my success of playing Crusader kings in Firefox browser on my MB air here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/11506434070 ... 7Fj2Yxm4dn
MarkEdmondson

Postby reba » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:43 pm

reba Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:43 pm
Is there a way to access the octane render cloud engine directly, without having to use it as a plug-in in one of the supported 3d modelling suites? I think you made announcements before, that this will be available through an API of some sorts. So at what stage of readiness is it now?
reba
reba

Return to ORBX on Amazon AMIs