NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0, further advancing the science of CG rendering

Forums: NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0, further advancing the science of CG rendering
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0, further advancing thescience of CG rendering

Postby BorisGoreta » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:00 pm

BorisGoreta Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:00 pm
As I understand it we will see these features this month as beta builds and final release will be ready this summer.
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0, further advancing thescience of CG rendering

Postby smicha » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:22 am

smicha Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:22 am
I am curious about pricing of the cloud. At 23:30 http://nvidia.fullviewmedia.com/gtc2014/S4899.html it says:

.... as low as 11c/GPU hr.

Does this mean that if my scene takes 1 hour to render on my single GTX TITAN, I'll be able to render it in the cloud using 1000 GPUs for:
1h/1000*11c*1000 = 11c

0.11$? For 3.6 seconds of effective rendering time on 1000 GPUs? This is so cheap. What about pricing for non-effective time (e.g., uploading orbx data to the cloud, saving files and sending back to my computer)?
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:15 am

Rikk The Gaijin Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:15 am
smicha wrote:Does this mean that if my scene takes 1 hour to render on my single GTX TITAN, I'll be able to render it in the cloud using 1000 GPUs for:

No, I believe the number of GPUs available for private users will be WAY less than that... Probably less than 10... But let's wait and see.
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:50 am

glimpse Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:50 am
I believe that's for an hour of 1 GPU work ~as powerfull as 670-680 =)
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby stratified » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:54 am

stratified Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:54 am
Seekerfinder wrote:
stratified wrote:We will churn out 2.0 with the features that are already anounced (displacement, hair, MB, region render, rounded edges, ...) in a fully fledged 2.0 release.

Hi Thomas,
Is this the release that will see the light this month? I.e. the 'complete' version 2.0 release. There is some confusion on the timeframe / features of the 'first' 2.0 release.

Seeker

Yep, at least the release candidate. It will take more than a month to get it stable.

The feature list for this one off the top of my head: displacement, hair, MB, region render, rounded edges, local asset DB & network rendering.

cheers,
Thomas
stratified
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby renegator » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:41 am

renegator Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:41 am
stratified wrote:Yep, at least the release candidate. It will take more than a month to get it stable.

The feature list for this one off the top of my head: displacement, hair, MB, region render, rounded edges, local asset DB & network rendering.

cheers,
Thomas

Wow, very extensive list for a first RC! Is there a timeframe for when we can expect sun+hdr, opensubdiv, random instance color and (my personal favourite) ctrl+z?
renegator

Postby abstrax » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:49 am

abstrax Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:49 am
renegator wrote:
stratified wrote:Yep, at least the release candidate. It will take more than a month to get it stable.

cheers,
Thomas

Wow, very extensive list for a first RC! Is there a timeframe for when we can expect sun+hdr, opensubdiv, random instance color and (my personal favourite) ctrl+z?

Everything except undo, will be included, too. Thomas just forgot about them. Maybe even undo will be included.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby renegator » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:54 am

renegator Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:54 am
Thanks abstrax, this release feels like Christmas and Easter combined to the second power :D
renegator

Postby Seekerfinder » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:32 am

Seekerfinder Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:32 am
abstrax wrote:
renegator wrote:

cheers,
Thomas

Everything except undo, will be included, too. Thomas just forgot about them. Maybe even undo will be included.

Great news, thanks guys.

Do I understand correctly that current 1.x licencees will have to pay the upgrade fee to be able to access the RC builds? That would mean you'd have to offer the upgrade option before the release of 2.0. How will that work?

Thanks,
Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby remKa » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:34 pm

remKa Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:34 pm
Hi !

Do you know yet which day you will release the first 2.0 version (standalone and plugin) ?

And will it be possible to use a water level system with the displacement ?
i7 3930K / 1 EVGA Titan Black SuperClocked - 1 GTX Titan - 1 GTX 960 / 32 Gb DDR 3
http://www.remka.fr
https://twitter.com/remKa_
remKa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements