Revit Octane adding model from (other) Stand-Alone project

Forums: Revit Octane adding model from (other) Stand-Alone project
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Revit Octane adding model from (other) Stand-Alone project

Postby geofnarlee » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:17 pm

geofnarlee Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:17 pm
Hi Paul,

Octane is adding the model from (other) Stand-Alone project into my (different project) Revit Octane Viewport. The model itself is not related to the current Revit file I have open. The camera was out of focus, maybe trying to figure out which model to look at or maybe getting info from two scenes? Also, when I export to OCS and open in Octane Stand-Alone, only the (other) Stand-Alone project opens (and it's not the one I most recent Stand-Alone project I worked on). Also (I think but I may be doing something wrong) it seems to be preventing me from successfully changing a Revit RPC tree into an .OBJ proxy.

And getting attached error message/may give a clue I don't know.

btw, Paul, THANK YOU for clueing me in on that export to OCS option - it is totally fantastic.

Is there some Octane memory buffer or something not clearing maybe?

Geof
Attachments
Error message upon clicking 'Refresh Geometry' button.jpg
geofnarlee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Revit Octane adding model from (other) Stand-Alone project

Postby geofnarlee » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:03 pm

geofnarlee Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:03 pm
so that was really weird. After re-opening the Revit file & trying again several times, it finally cleared... :?: :?: (I believe I had to manually re-focus the camera, tho, can't remember)

...oh nooo, it's BAAAAACK!! After it had cleared, I exported to OCS and opened it up in Stand-Alone. No problem, except my OBJ proxy tree didn't come over with it...? (- so that's another question I have - maybe because I hadn't imported the mtl material file?) . But then I closed Stand-Alone, opened Revit and voila - the problem all over again...

another quirk (seemingly) along with this: in order to get a different viewport to render (it wouldn't accept any other choice than the one I used first), I had to right-click on Default Render Target, in the Settings tree, and click 'Load from Default,' and then whichever view i was in got rendered. So it seems like the drop down menu is now not working.

...cleared up again. no clue why. Camera wasn't out of focus, just needed to zoom in to model closer, as it was (seemingly) pushed away by the other fantom model. Also fixed the mtl issue with the obj tree proxy in Revit but still didn't export to Octane Stand-Alone. I can import obj's into Stand-Alone, but can't combine them into the scene anyway, so that doesn't help.

Cheers,
Geof
geofnarlee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:39 pm

face_off Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:39 pm
Hi Geof

What is the release number of the OctaneRender for Revit plugin you are using pls? And which version of Revit?

That error means that Revit was in "edit" mode (ie. when you are adding a wall, before you click the Modify button to accept the wall) - and when in this mode no plugin can be run. Ideally you should not have the plugin setup window open when editing your Revit scene - however 99.9% of the time the plugin should handle this OK. For some reason in your case this is not working correctly. I haven't had any other reports of this - so will be interested to know the version you are running.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby geofnarlee » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:19 pm

geofnarlee Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:19 pm
Hi Paul,

Let me check on that & get back/thx!

In the meantime, I tried using an imported sketchup tree. it exported perfectly and in fact, Octane Stand-Alone even knew it's leaves were a different material from the branches and so forth. Perfect!

THX,
Geof
geofnarlee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby geofnarlee » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:48 am

geofnarlee Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:48 am
Hi Paul,

To your questions:

No I wasn't Edit mode.

My current products are:
Revit 2016 Build 16.0.490 20150714_1515(x64) Service Pack 2
OR Plugin 2.23.2.30

3ds Max Design 2015 Product Version 17.0 SP3 Commerical
OR Plugin 2.04

OR Stand-Alone 2.24

My system is Dell m6600 Intel Core i7-2929XM CPU @2.5 GHz, RAM 16GB, 64-bit OS, 2GB NVidea Quadro 4000M (I know - already old!), Windows 7 Pro

Thx,
Geof
geofnarlee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:23 pm

face_off Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:23 pm
Thanks Geof

No I wasn't Edit mode.
The exception being returned from Revit indicates you are - it is saying there is a transaction currently open (transaction = unfinished edit).

Octane is adding the model from (other) Stand-Alone project into my (different project) Revit Octane Viewport.
You have (potentially unknowingly) added an ORBX or OCS file as a proxy in your Revit scene. https://docs.otoy.com/#45Geometry%20Proxies%20and%20Instancing

Also (I think but I may be doing something wrong) it seems to be preventing me from successfully changing a Revit RPC tree into an .OBJ proxy.
RPC objects are not supported by the Revit plugin (since they are not actually geometry items). https://docs.otoy.com/#45Limitations

The camera was out of focus, maybe trying to figure out which model to look at or maybe getting info from two scenes?
If you have auto-focus ON, then the camera focus distance will be set to the distance to the geometry at the exact middle of the rendered image. So either et the aperture to 0, or click the focus pick button in the viewport and pic your focus point.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Autodesk Revit