Proxies and Revit Phasing

Forums: Proxies and Revit Phasing
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Proxies and Revit Phasing

Postby Seekerfinder » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:18 pm

Seekerfinder Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:18 pm
Hi Paul,

We may have covered this before (could not find it on the forums though) but it seems as though the plugin does not recognize phasing for proxy elements... Can we get that fixed?

Cheers,
Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Proxies and Revit Phasing

Postby face_off » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:09 am

face_off Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:09 am
We may have covered this before (could not find it on the forums though) but it seems as though the plugin does not recognize phasing for proxy elements... Can we get that fixed?
Hi Seeker. The plugin can access the phase assigned to the demolished phase - but there doesn't seem to be a way to determine if that phase is visible in the current View. So not sure this is possible.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:41 am

Seekerfinder Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:41 am
face_off wrote:
Hi Seeker. The plugin can access the phase assigned to the demolished phase - but there doesn't seem to be a way to determine if that phase is visible in the current View. So not sure this is possible.

Paul

You mean in the Octane render view? All Revit elements are rendered correctly according to Revit phasing per view (pending a refresh of course - even material overrides are adopted), except proxies...

So now we have a situation where we're rendering an existing period building which we surveyed (we should totally just take photographs!). But then the 'new' trees show up (only the proxy trees). Likewise, trees tagged as existing also render when they're supposed to be demolished. Again, Octane is very resilient with any other elements. I'd really appreciate if you could see if you'd be able to find a solution!?

My layman's approach would be to tell Octane first to see if an element that has a proxy is actually visible in the view, before calling the proxy replacement file... Simples, no?

Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:56 am

face_off Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:56 am
My layman's approach would be to tell Octane first to see if an element that has a proxy is actually visible in the view, before calling the proxy replacement file... Simples, no?
Seeker - the Revit API returns TRUE for the element.IsVisible(renderingView) call for a demolished element. So I cannot see a way to determine the phased visibility status of a proxy host. The plugin can even access all the phase details - but the view doesn't indicate which phase it is for.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:34 am

Seekerfinder Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:34 am
face_off wrote:
The plugin can even access all the phase details - but the view doesn't indicate which phase it is for.

But the view (I presume you mean the Revit view, which the plugin references) does exactly that - that's what the phase filter is for. That is how it knows what to display and what not. I'm probably just missing something in relation to how Octane talks to Revit - or from what you said (it was a loooong night) but again, all 'regular' Revit assets are correctly handled by the plugin. So it must know, not only the phase attribute of each element (new or existing) but also the view state that calls that information. So I still baffled as to why, if the proxy host element is NOT visible in a particular view, does Octane show it?

Best,
Seeker

REVIT PHASING.jpg
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:23 am

face_off Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:23 am
Seeker - if you can give me an absolutely concrete set of rules for determining the (phase) visibility of an object relative to the phase set in the View, I will code it (and if your set of rules is less than 2 pages, it's not right). There is a whole set of Phase Filters that come into play. My feeling at the moment is that there is a piece of the puzzle missing - because the Revit API will provide the name of the phase, but not it's visibility status.

This is not an issue for the non-proxy geometry loader, because the Revit API only provide geometry which is visible in the current 3d view.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Autodesk Revit