OctaneRender 3 for Revit [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 3 for Revit [OBSOLETE]
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 2.13 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:35 am

face_off Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:35 am
The plugin 'controls' window is always visible over the Revit window. But not over it's render window - can we not have it always visible there too?
Windows allow a window to be on top of all other windows for a given Window app - but if 2 windows are always on top, there is no way to give one a higher "on top" priority than another. Both the Setup window and Viewport an "on top" of all other Revit non-modal windows - but you cannot set the Setup window always on top of the Viewport windows.

2. The option to dock the controls to the side of the render window - or even have it stuck there permanently so that I don't have THREE windows to control whenever I work in Revit.
Sorry Seeker - there is no docking of windows currently available in the Revit API/UI.

2. If I associate a Revit family with an OBJ model, set it to default and later remove just the reference of the selected Revit object, it does it, but then, if associate another OBJ model with that Revit object, it 'sees' the older model's materials in Octane's material picker... I know this because the materials names are incorrect and are associated with the older model. It's like a 'purge' of some kind is needed.
Once an OBJ proxy is set as the "Default" for a family instance - it will always render that proxy. You cannot delete the OBJ - since the plugin will re-apply the proxy the next time you open the Viewport. Maybe the "Delete" button need to be disabled if the proxy is set as a default.

If another Revit family which is a proxy element is selected, the material picker seems to reference that model's materials....
This is a general problem that's been in the plugin from day 1. In summary, if you select a Proxy host in the Revit viewport, the plugin will give an exception if you try to edit a non-proxy material. I think the best solution is to clear the two material combo boxes, and disable material picking non-proxy materials if a proxy host is selected in Revit.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:44 am

face_off Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:44 am
3. The new material picker looks nice but as I reported before, it was the 'save to favourites' or copy option in the previous one that was broken. I would like to be able to revert back to a previous colour when I make changes or reference another colour in the model without having to write down RGB codes manually which is a bit of a schlep,
The best way to copy one color to another is to Copy the RGB Color node and paste it to the other node. The "Favorites" panel is the color pick was not something that can easily be implemented in the Revit plugin.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:24 am

Seekerfinder Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:24 am
face_off wrote:
The plugin 'controls' window is always visible over the Revit window. But not over it's render window - can we not have it always visible there too?
Windows allow a window to be on top of all other windows for a given Window app - but if 2 windows are always on top, there is no way to give one a higher "on top" priority than another. Both the Setup window and Viewport an "on top" of all other Revit non-modal windows - but you cannot set the Setup window always on top of the Viewport windows.

2. The option to dock the controls to the side of the render window - or even have it stuck there permanently so that I don't have THREE windows to control whenever I work in Revit.
Sorry Seeker - there is no docking of windows currently available in the Revit API/UI.

Ok, but can we then please have the menu attached to the render window? Something like the image below.

face_off wrote:
2. If I associate a Revit family with an OBJ model, set it to default and later remove just the reference of the selected Revit object, it does it, but then, if associate another OBJ model with that Revit object, it 'sees' the older model's materials in Octane's material picker... I know this because the materials names are incorrect and are associated with the older model. It's like a 'purge' of some kind is needed.
Once an OBJ proxy is set as the "Default" for a family instance - it will always render that proxy. You cannot delete the OBJ - since the plugin will re-apply the proxy the next time you open the Viewport. Maybe the "Delete" button need to be disabled if the proxy is set as a default.

Thanks for clarifying Paul - I agree.

face_off wrote:
If another Revit family which is a proxy element is selected, the material picker seems to reference that model's materials....
This is a general problem that's been in the plugin from day 1. In summary, if you select a Proxy host in the Revit viewport, the plugin will give an exception if you try to edit a non-proxy material. I think the best solution is to clear the two material combo boxes, and disable material picking non-proxy materials if a proxy host is selected in Revit.
I agree.

OCTANE MENU.jpg
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seekerfinder » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:28 am

Seekerfinder Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:28 am
Paul,
Is it possible to display the title of the selected Revit 3D view in the render window?

The reason I am asking this is because I often set a render to one the Revit 3D views and then go back to a Revit 2D view to continue to work. Problem is, when I want to go back to the 3D view to update the render, I can often not recall which 3D I activated. This is not a problem with smaller projects of course but the more I work on a more the more 3D views there are and even giving them descriptive names is not a foolproof method...

Best,
Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:10 am

face_off Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:10 am
1. ORBX files still don't load - even simple ones - see attachment below.
Problem fixed in the next release.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:44 am

face_off Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:44 am
Ok, but can we then please have the menu attached to the render window? Something like the image below.
This would be a huge change to the plugin Seeker. In .NET (the Revit API), the code is attached to the window, so merging the Viewport and Setup windows would mean re-structuring all the plugin code - and this change may not be something that all users want.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:51 am

face_off Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:51 am
I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- You cannot material pick non-proxy materials whilst a proxy host is selected (otherwise the plugin does not know if the material belongs to a proxy or not)
- The Scene and Materials combo boxes is now cleared when you have a proxy host selected in Revit
- Removed the beep when pressing tab or enter of int or float fields
- Added the currently rendering View name to the Viewport title
- You can now not Delete an OBJ proxy if is it a Default (since when you next open the Viewport it will reassign the default proxy)
- Improved Aperture slider
- Fixed issue where ORBX proxies were not loading correctly

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:04 am

Seekerfinder Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:04 am
face_off wrote:
This would be a huge change to the plugin Seeker. In .NET (the Revit API), the code is attached to the window, so merging the Viewport and Setup windows would mean re-structuring all the plugin code - and this change may not be something that all users want.

Paul

I understand. It's a shame that the .net framework does not allow for nesting windows in a more flexible way. Could we consider in future? Perhaps we could do a pole? I am sure most Revit users would agree with the benefit of a simplified windows environment.

Seeker
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seekerfinder » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:11 am

Seekerfinder Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:11 am
face_off wrote:I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- You cannot material pick non-proxy materials whilst a proxy host is selected (otherwise the plugin does not know if the material belongs to a proxy or not)
- The Scene and Materials combo boxes is now cleared when you have a proxy host selected in Revit
- Removed the beep when pressing tab or enter of int or float fields
- Added the currently rendering View name to the Viewport title
- You can now not Delete an OBJ proxy if is it a Default (since when you next open the Viewport it will reassign the default proxy)
- Improved Aperture slider
- Fixed issue where ORBX proxies were not loading correctly

Paul

Paul, you are Superman... Thanks for implementing those changes. The plugin is just getting better and better!

Best,
Seeker
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thefishnut » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:11 am

thefishnut Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:11 am
Hi Paul,
Would it be possible within the future releases of the plugin to give an option to store the texture files used when designating a default material?

I would imagine this would be a enable/disable option, with the ability to set a default path to save the files, similar to the ability to select the location of the texture files for the live database, and when selecting 'save as default' the plugin would duplicate the texture file to a designated location, and link itself to it.

This would mean that when creating an array of default materials, the texture files some of these are linking to will all be within a consolidated folder. This would also mean that if any of these texture files were either accidentally moved or deleted, or if one wanted to share their default library set-up, there would be no missing texture links.
Win 8 64 | 2 x Geforce GTX780 6gb | i7 4790k | 32GB
thefishnut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk Revit