Feature requests

Forums: Feature requests
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Feature requests

Postby Seekerfinder » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:11 pm

Seekerfinder Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:11 pm
Hi Paul,

I'd like to request a few minor(?) features which would be useful in my (and others?) workflow:

1. Esc to close proxy window;
2. Auto random-rotate /-scale (by selectable range) the elements propagated with 'proxy replicate' function (I vaguely recall this being requested before?);
3. Ability to apply 'favourites' material to a new maxed material node.
[EDIT] 4. The ability to save preferences please. Every time I start a new project there are a few setting I change as a matter of routine - particularly FOV and resolution. Aperture is another I often change. It would be great if we could create preferences for default node settings.

Also, did you change something in the way VP navigation works since it's first implementation? I have been really struggling with navigation control lately - over-sensitive zoom / pan (around a selected Revit element). At first I thought it was because of a large model I was working on but I am experiencing the same thing with much smaller models. It just seems as though something kind of broke along the way because my recollection was that is was much better at 'some' point... Or was that in another life?

Best,
Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Feature requests

Postby face_off » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:48 am

face_off Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:48 am
Done in the next release.

2. Auto random-rotate /-scale (by selectable range) the elements propagated with 'proxy replicate' function (I vaguely recall this being requested before?);
Doable in a future version (added to the medium-term list).

Unsure what a 'maxed material' is - sorry.

4. The ability to save preferences please. Every time I start a new project there are a few setting I change as a matter of routine - particularly FOV and resolution. Aperture is another I often change. It would be great if we could create preferences for default node settings.
Rightclick Settings tab tree "Save as Default".

Also, did you change something in the way VP navigation works since it's first implementation?
Hasn't changed. If you select a Revit item - that item is used as the centre of rotation and to scale the zoom. So I think you might have something selected too close or far from the camera which is causing your problem.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:18 pm

Seekerfinder Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:18 pm
face_off wrote:
Done in the next release.
Thanks Paul!

face_off wrote:
Doable in a future version (added to the medium-term list).
Great.

face_off wrote:
Unsure what a 'maxed material' is - sorry.
MIXED or MIX material node I meant to say.

face_off wrote:
4. The ability to save preferences please. Every time I start a new project there are a few setting I change as a matter of routine - particularly FOV and resolution. Aperture is another I often change. It would be great if we could create preferences for default node settings.
Rightclick Settings tab tree "Save as Default".
Ah yes, the manual is quite clear on this - thanks Paul.

face_off wrote:
Also, did you change something in the way VP navigation works since it's first implementation?
Hasn't changed. If you select a Revit item - that item is used as the centre of rotation and to scale the zoom. So I think you might have something selected too close or far from the camera which is causing your problem.
I am familiar with how it works since beta days and use it all the time and I make sure only one element is selected - preferably as small as possible. It's just that my 'impression' is that it used to be more user friendly somehow. But if you haven't changed anything, obviously that is not the case. I wonder if we could improve it somehow? Is it possible to add a 'sensitivity' / speed slider to the control? Alternatively, could you port the subsampling-setting from Octane as a test?

Thanks,
Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:25 am

face_off Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:25 am
Applying a favorite into a material within a material mix would be complex to implement (since the plugin would not know if you want to replace the whole material mix, or just one input. I'd rather leave this out for the moment.

Is it possible to add a 'sensitivity' / speed slider to the control? Alternatively, could you port the subsampling-setting from Octane as a test?
I will implement subsampling in the next release.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:41 am

Seekerfinder Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:41 am
face_off wrote:
Applying a favorite into a material within a material mix would be complex to implement (since the plugin would not know if you want to replace the whole material mix, or just one input. I'd rather leave this out for the moment.

Just assign it to a node, like in Standalone? Didn't think this would be rocket science.

face_off wrote:
Is it possible to add a 'sensitivity' / speed slider to the control? Alternatively, could you port the subsampling-setting from Octane as a test?
I will implement subsampling in the next release.

Thanks Paul.

Seeker
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:11 am

face_off Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:11 am
Just assign it to a node, like in Standalone? Didn't think this would be rocket science.
That reminds me of the Far Side cartoon where the rocket scientist are building a rocket that is falling apart. The "import" function is all geared around replacing an entire material node with another. It has to replace the whole tree control for the material, and plug the imported material into all the geometry pins that used the original material. So importing a material into part of an existing material would require significant re-engineering of the plugin, and the effort to do so would not match the benefit to users.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:56 am

Seekerfinder Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:56 am
face_off wrote:
That reminds me of the Far Side cartoon where the rocket scientist are building a rocket that is falling apart. The "import" function is all geared around replacing an entire material node with another. It has to replace the whole tree control for the material, and plug the imported material into all the geometry pins that used the original material. So importing a material into part of an existing material would require significant re-engineering of the plugin, and the effort to do so would not match the benefit to users.

Paul

I thought that's why they pay you the big bucks, Paul... I did not mean to trivialise the work required. But users needs are evolving and, since we cannot yet import a custom materials library (created in standalone), I find the need to create a useful materials library inside of Revit (saving to favs) more and more. The mix materials node is very useful in this regard.

I think we'll end up at the ability to access custom material libraries, in which case such a need would be all but redundant. Importing OCS files as proxies will solve this as well since it will be a mechanism for materials import - I think you advised we contact Otoy to address some core functionality for this to work - I'll dig up that post and ask Otoy for a bit of love. It remains my no.1 feature request (in case you did not know... just kidding).

Best,
Seeker
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:02 pm

face_off Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:02 pm
Seeker, the next version of the Revit plugin is pretty much done, and has the "Import ORBX Material" function (and subsampling). I'm waiting on it's release until I get a journal showing the Octane Material issue so that I can include a fix for that in the release.

Once the "Import ORBX Material" function has been tested and proven to be robust, I will look at "Import ORBX Proxy".

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:26 am

Seekerfinder Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:26 am
face_off wrote:Seeker, the next version of the Revit plugin is pretty much done, and has the "Import ORBX Material" function (and subsampling). I'm waiting on it's release until I get a journal showing the Octane Material issue so that I can include a fix for that in the release.

Once the "Import ORBX Material" function has been tested and proven to be robust, I will look at "Import ORBX Proxy".

Paul

Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk Revit