Camera focus and texture maps

Forums: Camera focus and texture maps
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Camera focus and texture maps

Postby andredms » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:19 pm

andredms Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:19 pm
Hello Paul, maybe those questions are utterly obvious, but I still can't find answers.

First, the conversion of the Revit materials into the Octane scene, by the plugin, never gives any texture maps - even the ones into the Revit default material libraries. All textures are correctly loaded into Revit materials, and into the previously configured texture paths.

About the camera focus - several times I get an image result that is deceptively out of focus. If the scene have elements across several distances, saying, first, second and third planes, at least two of them are out of focus in an unnatural way. If I configure the distance or object to the second or third planes, the near objects get an out of focus result that is above the expectations. I can't find a way to adjust this, and the autofocus option do not solve this either. I can't find a way to render without the "out-of-focus" effect too.

Thank you for attention.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Camera focus and texture maps

Postby face_off » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:14 am

face_off Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:14 am
First, the conversion of the Revit materials into the Octane scene, by the plugin, never gives any texture maps - even the ones into the Revit default material libraries. All textures are correctly loaded into Revit materials, and into the previously configured texture paths.
For Revit 2013, it should pick up all the materials from the standard libraries. For example, the Revit material "Wood - Birch" is coded to use the texturemap at ....

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Materials\Textures\3\Mats\Woods & Plastics.Finish Carpentry.Wood.Red Birch.png

Unfortunately Revit provides no way to track the actual texturemap path of a Revit material - so the path to every Revit material has been coded into the plugin.

About the camera focus - several times I get an image result that is deceptively out of focus. If the scene have elements across several distances, saying, first, second and third planes, at least two of them are out of focus in an unnatural way. If I configure the distance or object to the second or third planes, the near objects get an out of focus result that is above the expectations. I can't find a way to adjust this, and the autofocus option do not solve this either. I can't find a way to render without the "out-of-focus" effect too.
The most common cause of focus problems is the autofocus, or focus pick using geometry with has a clear glass material. The easiest solution is to decrease the camera->aperture. Use the minimum value to stop all DOF effects.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Autodesk Revit