OctaneRender 2 for Revit [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2 for Revit [OBSOLETE]
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 2.03 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:39 pm

face_off Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:39 pm
Andre - the plugin renders EXACTLY what is in the Revit scene. You are looking for functionality to render objects NOT in the Revit scene - which the plugin has some capabilities to do - but there are limitations too. I think you are after a plugin with far more sophisticated features, costing far more the 100 Euros.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 2.05.2 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:49 am

face_off Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:49 am
I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled against Octane 2.05.2. IMPORTANT: This release changes the way the exposure is calculated. See the Octane Standalone release notes for 2.05 for details. The plugin will automatically convert old exposure values from scenes saved with previous versions of the plugin to the new system. However it cannot convert your default or exported rendertargets to the new system, so if using a gamma <> 1, you will to adjust the exposure accordingly, and then Save as Default.
- Resolved issue where certain materials from linked revit file would not render
- Added the host proxy element name to the error message resulting from the plugin not being able to load a proxy or scatter file

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby andredms » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:10 pm

andredms Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:10 pm
Hello Paul,

The proxy "obj. units" parameter is not being replicated to other instances (replicate button under materials tab) - but I still need to test with the 2.5.2.7 plugin version.

I like so much the way Octane and the plugin works - it's rational and very practical, but the proxy implementation is not so good.

If you want to innovate, then you need to start hear the real customers and users. You can even make some copyright over those ideas, because they could be widely used to get detailed renderings from BIM systems - this could be a valuable, exclusive feature of the Octane for Revit and other BIM. Well, until someone else does that first.

Those features are very relevant for anyone trying to get detailed renderings from any BIM system using Octane. I have no doubt you could make available those features without so much effort.

Another interesting feature would be to include gamma and hue adjustments into the diffuse image parameters - this can save valuable time for some fine-tuning on materials.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:35 pm

face_off Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:35 pm
The proxy "obj. units" parameter is not being replicated to other instances (replicate button under materials tab) - but I still need to test with the 2.5.2.7 plugin version.
You are right - I will fix this today.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:07 am

face_off Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:07 am
I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Fixed issue where the Proxy Obj Units field was not being pasted or replicated

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby thefishnut » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:12 am

thefishnut Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:12 am
Hi Paul,
I understand from some previous posts that you are looking into being able to use materials created in the octane standalone. I would like to emphasize that this will be a very valuable edition. While the revit plugin has its strengths the ability to navigate and isolate an object so that you can confirm a materials suitability is tedious. I am finding my self being pulled back to the standalone to set up materials and confirm their properties under different conditions, only then to have to reproduce the saved material within the revit plugin. Granted I could upload it to the live database, but id rather not subject the community to some of my creations. The proxy system is a feature that pulls me back to the revit plugin. But still to confirm and setup materials properties and their suitability, the standalone is by far more streamlined. Do you foresee the potential to maybe proxy or make use of orbx files? Being able to fully setup and test materials in different conditions within the standalone, (say a highly detailed couch) and then proxy it within revit, would be fantastic for work flow.

Many Thanks,
Chris.
Win 8 64 | 2 x Geforce GTX780 6gb | i7 4790k | 32GB
thefishnut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:34 am

face_off Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:34 am
I understand from some previous posts that you are looking into being able to use materials created in the octane standalone. I would like to emphasize that this will be a very valuable edition. While the revit plugin has its strengths the ability to navigate and isolate an object so that you can confirm a materials suitability is tedious. I am finding my self being pulled back to the standalone to set up materials and confirm their properties under different conditions, only then to have to reproduce the saved material within the revit plugin. Granted I could upload it to the live database, but id rather not subject the community to some of my creations. The proxy system is a feature that pulls me back to the revit plugin. But still to confirm and setup materials properties and their suitability, the standalone is by far more streamlined. Do you foresee the potential to maybe proxy or make use of orbx files? Being able to fully setup and test materials in different conditions within the standalone, (say a highly detailed couch) and then proxy it within revit, would be fantastic for work flow.
I would love to implement this - however it needs Otoy to provide access to the LocalDb in the API. I've already put in two feature requests for this - but the more people that request it the more likely Otoy will push it up the priority list - so pls submit this request to Otoy.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:13 am

Seekerfinder Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:13 am
thefishnut wrote:Being able to fully setup and test materials in different conditions within the standalone, (say a highly detailed couch) and then proxy it within revit, would be fantastic for work flow.

Hi Paul,
To me, this is the essence of my need to have the plugin import OCS format proxies. I works a treat in Sketchup and gives us the ability to iterate and use Octane's powerful material editor. It is the best of both worlds.

I know you've said it's not an insignificant feature to implement, but I feel as strong as ever that it could push the Revit plugin to a new level.

Best,
Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thefishnut » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:25 am

thefishnut Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:25 am
I know you've said it's not an insignificant feature to implement, but I feel as strong as ever that it could push the Revit plugin to a new level.

Agreed :)

I would love to implement this - however it needs Otoy to provide access to the LocalDb in the API. I've already put in two feature requests for this - but the more people that request it the more likely Otoy will push it up the priority list - so pls submit this request to Otoy.

I have placed this request within the general plugin support page. Hopefully this creates a bit more awareness.

On another topic Paul. When exporting a scene to an ocs file and opening it in the octane standalone, the complexity of the node system created is so great that my octane responds so slow to the point that it is unusable. After separating one of the paths (a tree) and seeing how it has been structured, it seems that is overly complicated in the amount of nodes needed to create the same result. (see attached images, I have made the obj model red for clarity)
node graph.jpg
NORMAL EXPORTED OCS
. This tree is one that was being proxied within the revit plugin. Would it be possible to eliminate the excessive transformation and placement nodes during the creating of the ocs? and also the scatter node. As it seems redundant aswell. This proxy wasn't being scattered. And finally, this tree was used multiple times within the project at different scales and rotations, (that I manually entered when assigning the proxy). Rather than have duplicate obj nodes created and then each having their own separate placement node. Can each of the placement nodes simply be connected to the one obj. This would speed up the interface dramatically, and make replacing or editing in the standalone actually possible.

Regards,
Chris.
thefishnut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thefishnut » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:27 am

thefishnut Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:27 am
I copy pasted the nodes, and simplified it to create the same result.
node graph optimized.jpg
PROPOSED OPTIMIZED EXPORTED OCS

As you can see by the amount of connections hidden just above the nodes I am playing with, there are an excessive amount of connections.

Thanks,
Chris.
thefishnut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk Revit