OctaneRender 2 for Revit [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2 for Revit [OBSOLETE]
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 2.12.1 [STABLE]

Postby andredms » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:23 pm

andredms Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:23 pm
face_off wrote:
There's no displacement whatsoever, around the building pads - in all those pictures the scene and texture parameters are exactly the same. Take a look at the pictures with the bp near or far away - at the distance of the building pads, the grass displacement "arises". This problem does not happen around the floor objects.
I am sorry - I don't understand. What is a "bp"?

displacement_error_2_one-floor_without_bp.jpg seems to have displacement around the building pad.

"bp" means "building pad" - as the name of the file describes, there is no "building pad" into the picture, just a floor - as I said before, this bug do not happen with the floor object. Without a building pad under the floor, the grass texture of the toposurface appears through the floor.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:40 pm

face_off Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:40 pm
Sorry - I am quite confused about what the problem is. If Topography geometry is present under the building pad - then the displacement material will displace the grass up over the building pad. To compensate, you need to put a negative displacement Offset to lower the top of the grass.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby andredms » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:49 pm

andredms Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:49 pm
face_off wrote:Sorry - I am quite confused about what the problem is. If Topography geometry is present under the building pad - then the displacement material will displace the grass up over the building pad. To compensate, you need to put a negative displacement Offset to lower the top of the grass.

Paul

The building pad does cut through the toposurface, the floor does not. The problem is - around the building pad, the displacement vanishes. As you move away from the building pad, the displacement "arises". The only reason there is a floor into those pictures is for exemplary purposes - it could be a chair or a table...
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:04 am

face_off Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:04 am
Can you pls send me an ORBX exported from the Revit plugin showing problem?

Thanks

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby andredms » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:09 am

andredms Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:09 am
face_off wrote:Can you pls send me an ORBX exported from the Revit plugin showing problem?

Thanks

Paul

ORBX exported scene file sent by email.
Thank you.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby andredms » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:17 am

andredms Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:17 am
I will show the issue below:

displacement_error_2_one-floor_without_bp.jpg

> Toposurface material displacement is okay around an object, in this case is a floor piece.

displacement_error_3_one-bp.jpg

> Toposurface material displacement is not available around the building pad, but appears far away from it.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:01 pm

face_off Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:01 pm
I will show the issue below:
I have spent quite some time with the scene you sent me, but cannot work out why that problem is happening. I believe it is most probably related to the polygons being too big in the topo surface for the displacement to work. Increasing the LoD of the displacement and adjusting the Ray Epsilon helped but did not rectify the issue. Smoothing probably needs to be off for the topo surface too. Revit is providing a non-optimal geometry for the surface to displace - to see this, render with the infochannel and wireframe.

In summary - I don't know, and I will escalate this issue to Otoy to investigate.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:28 pm

Seekerfinder Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:28 pm
andredms wrote:I will show the issue below:

The attachment displacement_error_2_one-floor_without_bp.jpg is no longer available

> Toposurface material displacement is okay around an object, in this case is a floor piece.

The attachment displacement_error_3_one-bp.jpg is no longer available

> Toposurface material displacement is not available around the building pad, but appears far away from it.

Andre,
Usually, there is some level difference between a pad and an undulating site (and all sites are undulating to some degree or another). What confused me about your post is that there seemed not be any level difference between the two, so it was hard to distinguish between the site and pad.

Are you sure your site and pad materials either have the same displacement setting or, alternatively, have exactly the same material applied? Paul, did you check that?

Below is an image of a pad on a site with exactly the same material on both. I have not had any issues with displacement disappearing on pads.

Best,
Seeker

PAD-MATERIAL.jpg
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby andredms » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:30 pm

andredms Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:30 pm
face_off wrote:I have spent quite some time with the scene you sent me, but cannot work out why that problem is happening.

I only got this issue with the building pad, that (as far as I know) is the only object that cuts the toposurface - the problem seems related to this specific feature. If you move the building pad near to the border of the toposurface, the displacement increases around it and still vanishes on the opposite sides.

I will be waiting any news about this.
Thank you.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby andredms » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:40 pm

andredms Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:40 pm
Seekerfinder wrote:Usually, there is some level difference between a pad and an undulating site (and all sites are undulating to some degree or another). What confused me about your post is that there seemed not be any level difference between the two, so it was hard to distinguish between the site and pad.

The building pad almost never have the same materials as the toposurface site, because a building pad is equivalent to the building foundation, is the flat foundation used to construct the building over it - and it can't be made of grass.

The scene shown in the pictures and on the submitted file to Paul have a flat toposurface and a single material (no subregions configured). If your building pad is large enough, this effect will diminish, but not go away - to see it clearly, you must have to do a small building pad away from the edges of a flat toposurface.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk Revit