Opening a saved material

Forums: Opening a saved material
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Opening a saved material

Postby timbarnes » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:44 pm

timbarnes Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:44 pm
I've created a layered (mix) material in Octane standalone, and saved it as a .orbx file. I want to apply it to my Revit model (in Octane). I don't seem to be able to open it as the only material format shown is xml.

Is this possible? I couldn't find anything in the manual.

Thanks,
tim
Mac Pro 3,1 / Lion / 14G RAM / ATI HD 2600 / nVidia GTX 470
i5-750 / Windows 7 Pro 64bit / 8G RAM / Quadro FX 580
Revit 2011, SketchUp 8, Rhino
timbarnes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Opening a saved material

Postby face_off » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:00 pm

face_off Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:00 pm
I've created a layered (mix) material in Octane standalone, and saved it as a .orbx file. I want to apply it to my Revit model (in Octane). I don't seem to be able to open it as the only material format shown is xml.
Hi Tim

There is not currently a way to load an ORBX file (or any other export from Standalone) into the plugin - so create all your materials in the plugin if you wish to use them in other Revit scenes. Interchangeability of materials between Standalone and the plugins may potentially be available with the Octane 2 API or later.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby timbarnes » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:37 pm

timbarnes Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:37 pm
Thanks - I have yet to learn how to create materials from scratch in the Revit interface. I'll have a go.

tim
Mac Pro 3,1 / Lion / 14G RAM / ATI HD 2600 / nVidia GTX 470
i5-750 / Windows 7 Pro 64bit / 8G RAM / Quadro FX 580
Revit 2011, SketchUp 8, Rhino
timbarnes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seekerfinder » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:21 am

Seekerfinder Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:21 am
face_off wrote:
Hi Tim

There is not currently a way to load an ORBX file (or any other export from Standalone) into the plugin - so create all your materials in the plugin if you wish to use them in other Revit scenes. Interchangeability of materials between Standalone and the plugins may potentially be available with the Octane 2 API or later.

Paul

Hi Paul,
This would be great. I am hoping that we will be able to access a local drive of material files the same way we acess LiveDB. That way we can create, store & access our own materials.

I thought I saw this announced somewhere but could not find it. So I think possibly it may have been a comment made by Jules Urbach in one of the future Octane presentations(?)

Apologies for bringing this up again (ahem) but the ability to import OCS files as proxies may help here since it should import the OCS materials... That's still no. 1 on my O4R feature wishlist.

Best,
Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:35 am

face_off Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:35 am
This would be great. I am hoping that we will be able to access a local drive of material files the same way we acess LiveDB. That way we can create, store & access our own materials.

I thought I saw this announced somewhere but could not find it. So I think possibly it may have been a comment made by Jules Urbach in one of the future Octane presentations(?)
At the moment the Octane API supports loading and saving materials to OCS (and therefore maybe OCM), but I don't think any of the plugins yet implement it, because it is very new, and requires some shuffling of nodes within the scene. Also - I'm not sure you if the plugins will be able to access the Octane Standalone LocalDb - bit if so, that would be another way to share materials.

Apologies for bringing this up again (ahem) but the ability to import OCS files as proxies may help here since it should import the OCS materials... That's still no. 1 on my O4R feature wishlist.
Again, the latest version of the Octane API actually supports loading an OCS into the plugin Viewport (as a proxy), but as above, this is very new, and would require some re-structuring of the plugin to implement. So changes like this will need to be looked after all the Octane 2.0 goodies have been implemented.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:51 am

Seekerfinder Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:51 am
face_off wrote:At the moment the Octane API supports loading and saving materials to OCS (and therefore maybe OCM), but I don't think any of the plugins yet implement it, because it is very new, and requires some shuffling of nodes within the scene. Also - I'm not sure you if the plugins will be able to access the Octane Standalone LocalDb - bit if so, that would be another way to share materials.

Good news!

face_off wrote:Again, the latest version of the Octane API actually supports loading an OCS into the plugin Viewport (as a proxy), but as above, this is very new, and would require some re-structuring of the plugin to implement. So changes like this will need to be looked after all the Octane 2.0 goodies have been implemented.

GREAT NEWS!! As mentioned before, I know of one other plugin that can do this... and it's absolute magic - workflow & memory bliss.

Best,
Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk Revit