OctaneRender for Revit Beta 1.32 [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 1.32 [OBSOLETE]
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 1.25 [TEST]

Postby Seekerfinder » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 am

Seekerfinder Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 am
Hi Paul,
Ok, first I should say that once I deactivate the OVP camera and re-activate, I can navigate the scene as usual.

face_off wrote:Hendrik - I think that there is some old Octane 1.20 settings in the RVT file causing this. Perhaps it is the sun vector at 0, 0, 0 (which would throw an error such as this). Could you pls reload the RVT file, and check the sun settings in the Settings tab.

Yes, the Sundir was stuck at 0,0,0. Even changing the Revit sun position did not change it. But once the OVP is toggled as described above, the Sundir parameter seems to update with Revit changes.

face_off wrote:EDIT: Could also be the aperture or scale being out. If we can identify the cause, I can code the latest version to ensure this does not happen.

Aperture at 0.10167 - seems ok (I still struggle with 5 decimals on these parameters! Simplicity plea!)

face_off wrote:EDIT2: It might also be a 0, 0, 0 camera up vector.

I wanted to check this but got my third Revit / plugin crash before I could. EDIT: Up starts at 0,1,0, which seems to be what it always is when the OVP camera is active.

CRASHES:
I got 3 so far, when running the plugin in Revit. Screen flashes black intermittently. Can't control anything. Task manager difficult to access / click on anything once it opens. Had 3 different escapes. a) Had to do hard reboot; b) clicked profusely on the 'end task' button in Task Manager and finally got a hit, which closed both Revit and, of course, the plugin; c) same action as b but this time only the plugin closed and Revit returned to normal. I am not exactly sure what initiated this behaviour but I am fairly certain it was when I was navigating in the Revit viewport (definitely so with the last crash)

I'm pretty sure it could be driver related but the fact that only the plugin closed on one Task Manager closure (of Revit), is a bit strange. I turned off hardware acceleration after b (as described above) but then still got it again as described by c (as per above).

I am a bit pressed for time in the next week or so but will try and install the 'certified' Revit driver (how often does Autodesk update that data I would wonder) and see how it goes.

EDIT: Opened Revit again after the crash (did not restart machine). Everything started ok but then the OVP lost track of the Revit crop window size. Come to think of it, some of the above crashes may have been related to Revit 3D view window adjustments (and also one section box adjustment).

GPU DRIVER TOO NEW FOR REVIT (MAY BE AN ISSUE).jpg
Nvidia driver too NEW for Revit - may be the issue here...(?)

Queries:
1. Should the FOV not inherit the Revit viewport FOV setting when the OVP camera is not active? I'm all for flexibility but once we mess with this in the plugin settings, there is no way to reset it to match exactly the Revit VP. Or is there?
2. Did we cover section boxes during the beta phase? I can't remember... and my other machine is now 'Octane-decommissioned' (have to deactivate Standalone AND plugin, to reactivate there) so I'm not going to check. But it would be great if we could get section boxes to work because it gives so many options in terms of creating various views.

Bugs?
1. The plugin VP does not adjust its view to correspond with the Revit view when changing Revit viewport size.
2. Once I close the plugin, it is greyed out in Revit and I have close my Revit session before I can reactivate the plugin.
3. The plugin does not remember the Cuda active device setting in subsequent sessions. This is soooo irritating because once I realise this is the issue my screen is already lagging bigtime and the mouse curser crawls over to the Cuda Devices tab, has a few miss-clicks until I can finally again deactivate the Quadro. I am pretty sure this is a Standalone issue since it happens there as well (at least in 1.2).

Useless information
The 3D transfor node is brilliant! I am so glad you added that in. Now we can do basics like change the orientation of floor boards or tiles on the fly. Yay!

Thanks again for a great plugin, Paul! It's got such a future!

Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:41 am

face_off Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:41 am
Hendrik - I will work through these issues - but firstly, what Nvidia driver version are you on pls?
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:51 am

Seekerfinder Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:51 am
face_off wrote:Hendrik - I will work through these issues - but firstly, what Nvidia driver version are you on pls?

331.82 :oops:
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:50 am

face_off Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:50 am
Thanks

It's tricky to determine what are Octane API issues, what are Nvidia drivers issues, and what are the plugin. In theory in the .NET environment it should be impossible to crash Revit. Nvidia driver 331 is known to have some issues with Octane. 227 is better. The was also some issues in Octane 1.25 which might have caused this is passed an invalid vector (like 0, 0, 0). Octane 1.28 is out, so I will do a build with it so see if it stablises your crashes. The "Nvidia driver too NEW for Revit - may be the issue here...(?)" looks suspect too - so certainly worth getting the last know good version for Revit.

Ok, first I should say that once I deactivate the OVP camera and re-activate, I can navigate the scene as usual.

Looks like a glitch here where scenes saved with viewport navigation on are in 1.20 are causing problems when loading into 1.25. I will try to rectify this.

1. Should the FOV not inherit the Revit viewport FOV setting when the OVP camera is not active? I'm all for flexibility but once we mess with this in the plugin settings, there is no way to reset it to match exactly the Revit VP. Or is there?

Pretty sure the old 1.20 version did not get the fov from Revit. The Revit API does not provide a "fov" value, so it's not possible to sync. The default it 50, so if you change the Octane fov, and want it back, use 50. If you need to make the Revit viewport wider, make it SHORTER instead - that way it will still have a horizontal fov of 50. This is a limitation that I hope Autodesk provide a way to resolve in the future. I /think/ this is covered in the manual.

2. Once I close the plugin, it is greyed out in Revit and I have close my Revit session before I can reactivate the plugin.

Simply have a 2d Revit view, and the button will be enabled again. You cannot start ANY Revit plugin from a 3d view.

3. The plugin does not remember the Cuda active device setting in subsequent sessions. This is soooo irritating because once I realise this is the issue my screen is already lagging bigtime and the mouse curser crawls over to the Cuda Devices tab, has a few miss-clicks until I can finally again deactivate the Quadro. I am pretty sure this is a Standalone issue since it happens there as well (at least in 1.2).

Octane 1.25 provides the ability to "remember" the Octane settings - so I'll need to look into this. Might be a bug in the plugin (in a bug in 1.25 as you say). I don't have a PC with 2 cards, so hard for me to test....

The 3D transfor node is brilliant! I am so glad you added that in. Now we can do basics like change the orientation of floor boards or tiles on the fly. Yay!

The flexibility Otoy have added to the projections and transforms is amazing. Totally transforms a product like Revit where there is no ability to re-UV map geometry.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:18 am

face_off Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:18 am
Hendrick....

For me, the Use Priority and actual Priority settings are being saved, but not the Active checkbox. This happens in Standalone too - so appears to be a general Octane issue. You should be able to set the Priority to Low and Use Priority to ON for your Quadro.

I saved a file with Viewport Nav on in 1.20, then loaded it with the 1.25 version of the plugin, and all was OK. Does it happen if you save the scene with 1.25 with Viewport Nav ON? Ir is it just loading older 1.20 scenes that require the Viewport Nav to be flicked off then on? If it's a serious issue for you, pls send me a scene where this is happening and I will rectify this.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:32 am

face_off Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:32 am
I have refreshed the installer at the top of this thread with:

- Disabled exporting of the scene to OCS if the Viewport is not open
- Zoom out of the Viewport (via the zoom combobox) now works if the render is paused
- Added "lock" button to the "scale" pin sliders (on the far left of the X, Y, Z labels in the Node Edit box). Enable to move all sliders at once.
- Fixed error occurring when changing a node type to Alpha, RGB or Greyscale Image
- You can now disconnect "bump", "normal", "filmwidth", "filmindex", and "medium" pins
- Focus and Material pick now works correctly when the Viewport has been zoomed

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:46 pm

Seekerfinder Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:46 pm
Hey Paul,
Thanks for devoting some time to these issues. I'm traveling right now but will give you a proper response next week.

In the meanwhile, thanks for this!!
face_off wrote:- Added "lock" button to the "scale" pin sliders (on the far left of the X, Y, Z labels in the Node Edit box). Enable to move all sliders at once.

Best,
Seeker
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 1.32 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:04 am

face_off Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:04 am
I have refreshed the installer at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled against Octane 1.32
- Fixed cuda errors from importing rendertargets saved with Octane 1.20
- Fixed issues related to special characters in texturemap filenames
- Fixed potential issue when the Viewport is closed and you change to a Revit view which has it's own rendertarget
- Fixed issue where LiveDb textures where being loaded with an incorrect texture scale. Reload your LiveDb textures with this release to get the correct scale if needed

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 1.32 [OBSOLETE]

Postby face_off » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:33 am

face_off Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:33 am
This thread has been marked OBSOLETE, replaced with http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=38973.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Previous

Return to Autodesk Revit