OctaneRender 2 for Revit [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2 for Revit [OBSOLETE]
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 2.03 [TEST]

Postby andredms » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:58 am

andredms Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:58 am
face_off wrote:Would it be possible to send me the master and linked file pls? Or a cut down version which demonstrates the problem? Then I can take a closer look and what might be causing the issue.

Thanks

Paul

Files sent by email.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:35 am

face_off Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:35 am
For everyone else's reference, andredms's problem was due to a bug in the plugin, which is fixed in the next release (available in the next few days).

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby thefishnut » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:21 pm

thefishnut Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:21 pm
Hi Paul,
I am currently having a few problems in my testings using scatter files and was wondering if you could help. Firstly, I am trying the delete a few scatter instances that weren't working as expected, and as such deleted the original scatter files as well. As a result I now get the message every time I reload the scene that it is 'unable to load transform file' from the path that it was originally at. It seems like the plugin is still trying to load this transform file, even though the object within the scene that is was connected to has been deleted.
Secondly the reason I was trying to start fresh and delete the file was that the scatter instance I was using kept offsetting its self vertically, well above my scene. Initially this scatter file worked, it was only after going back the phantom scatter changing a few properties, regenerating the scatter, and reloading it into the scene, that it was no longer in the right position. I don't believe that it is the scatter exporter that is at fault here, as I have attempted this as a fresh scatter multiple times, and there seems to be a persistent memory within the plugin. Even after deleting all objects that were linked as a proxy, and deleting the csv files the scattered files still appear offset above the model. Is there a way to see what components within revit are being used as a proxy? As I believe I have deleted all the remaining components but the proxied scatter still appears, and offset at that.

Many Thanks,
Chris.
Win 8 64 | 2 x Geforce GTX780 6gb | i7 4790k | 32GB
thefishnut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:14 am

face_off Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:14 am
I am currently having a few problems in my testings using scatter files and was wondering if you could help. Firstly, I am trying the delete a few scatter instances that weren't working as expected, and as such deleted the original scatter files as well. As a result I now get the message every time I reload the scene that it is 'unable to load transform file' from the path that it was originally at. It seems like the plugin is still trying to load this transform file, even though the object within the scene that is was connected to has been deleted.
I just testing this situation. If you restart Revit, load the rvt which used to have the scatter CSV and render and it pops that warning - then I believe you still have a family item in the scene which is assigned a proxy and scatter file. If that error instead read "Unable to load transform file abc.cv for element MyFamiltyItem", would that help?

Secondly the reason I was trying to start fresh and delete the file was that the scatter instance I was using kept offsetting its self vertically, well above my scene. Initially this scatter file worked, it was only after going back the phantom scatter changing a few properties, regenerating the scatter, and reloading it into the scene, that it was no longer in the right position. I don't believe that it is the scatter exporter that is at fault here, as I have attempted this as a fresh scatter multiple times, and there seems to be a persistent memory within the plugin. Even after deleting all objects that were linked as a proxy, and deleting the csv files the scattered files still appear offset above the model. Is there a way to see what components within revit are being used as a proxy? As I believe I have deleted all the remaining components but the proxied scatter still appears, and offset at that.
The plugin will force the Octane Placement node for any proxy which has a scatter file to have a 0, 0, 0 translation. So if everything is working correctly, the scatter CSV file will be being treated as absolute corrdinates, not effected by the position of the host proxy object. You can check this by opening the Viewport in the plugin, and the "Export Scene to OCX/ORBX" (Settings tab rightclick menu), then open that scene in Octane Standalone and find the Placement feeding the Scatter node - you will (should) see the Translation is 0, 0, 0. If the translation is 0, 0, 0, then either the rest of the Revit scene has been lowered (unlikely, but possible I guess), or the CSV scatter file has translate values offset in the Y axis. You can check latter by opening the CSV file - the 8th number in each line will be the y offset.

Hope that helps.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby thefishnut » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:57 pm

thefishnut Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:57 pm
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the help.
I just testing this situation. If you restart Revit, load the rvt which used to have the scatter CSV and render and it pops that warning - then I believe you still have a family item in the scene which is assigned a proxy and scatter file. If that error instead read "Unable to load transform file abc.cv for element MyFamiltyItem", would that help?

I have tested this now and it seems that restarting revit completely does fix the problem and remove the warnings. There still seems to be some strange occurrences happening with scatters proxies. For example, deleting a component that has a proxy and scatter attached does not remove it from the scene, even after reloading the geometry. But restarting revit does fix this.

As far as the Y axis being displaced in my model, I will have to do more testing of this. I have brought it into the octane stand alone, and the same thing occurs, it is offset above my model. I will do more testing as to whether it is the scatter file reporting the wrong Y axis coordinate, or the obj I am using the create the scatter that is at fault.

Many Thanks,
Chris.
Win 8 64 | 2 x Geforce GTX780 6gb | i7 4790k | 32GB
thefishnut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby andredms » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:10 am

andredms Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:10 am
Hello Paul,

I configure the proxy to the rfa host sitting on a horizontal plane, until it is correctly oriented. Then, I move the rfa to another host plane, but the proxy becomes disoriented again.

The trouble is that we can't use any proxies that will be on surfaces not completely horizontal flat. When I put the rfa on a horizontal plane and correctly set the proxy orientation, after select another surface host for the rfa - either vertical or slanted, the proxy do not follow the new rfa orientation. To be usable, the proxy must follow the 3D orientation of its host. On the majority of the building or site surfaces, it's impossible to get the right proxy orientation - even on toposurfaces not perfectly flat. Just to exemplify, I can't put a car on the street, or vegetation on the toposurface, or furniture, light fixture or other object siting on a not horizontal floor - the proxy light fixtures or any wall object get different orientation at every wall - they do not read the orientation of the host object.

How to prevent this to happen, since I need the proxy the get the same orientation of the host object? I think the proxy must have the same 3D orientation of the host object, or it is useless - even for trees, people and the like. To make the manual orientation settings of every single instance, in every different host plane is just impossible, because you need to calculate every 3D angle of every surface, and translate that to the orientation of the obj proxy.

I have an urgent need to use this - simply put, there is no reason to use Octane with Revit without the proper configuration of the proxy system, this so professed Octane feature.

Regards.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:20 am

face_off Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:20 am
Hi Andre

As per my email - the proxy host object need to be oriented "up". I have amended the manual to make this clearer. http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Revit/?page_id=449

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby andredms » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:29 pm

andredms Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:29 pm
face_off wrote:Hi Andre

As per my email - the proxy host object need to be oriented "up". I have amended the manual to make this clearer. http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Revit/?page_id=449

Paul

Hello Paul,

This is very bad news. From a BIM standpoint, the proxy implementation of the Octane for Revit plugin is seriously flawed. What every serious BIM user wants is, perhaps, of easy implementation:

1 - Consistency, so we can make correct BIM documentation of what is being visualized. For this to work, the proxy instance must have to "bind" to a specific family "type" - a certain furniture must be that same furniture the entire project, to do not document a furniture as a person or a tree;

2 - Correct implementation - the proxy instance must have to "read" the 3D positioning and orientation of the host object. We are on a 3D design environment, and the current 2D proxy orientation seems as a bad joke, sorry.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:09 pm

face_off Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:09 pm
1 - Consistency, so we can make correct BIM documentation of what is being visualized. For this to work, the proxy instance must have to "bind" to a specific family "type" - a certain furniture must be that same furniture the entire project, to do not document a furniture as a person or a tree;
This functionality is outside the scope of an Octane (or any other) rendering plugin.

2 - Correct implementation - the proxy instance must have to "read" the 3D positioning and orientation of the host object. We are on a 3D design environment, and the current 2D proxy orientation seems as a bad joke, sorry.
The plugin uses the positioning and up axis rotation of the host object if the host object has been placed on a horizontal surface.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby andredms » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:53 am

andredms Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:53 am
face_off wrote:
This functionality is outside the scope of an Octane (or any other) rendering plugin.

No, it's not - you are developing a plugin to a BIM environment, you must make what have a minimum funcionality into this environment. The current plugin is wrong and useless. Every other Revit plugin takes account of this, but just the Octane, the RENDERING, does not??? You currently have this exact functionality into the materials, but not with the proxies? Come on, this is absurd. You need to understand what BIM is to develop to that environment.

face_off wrote:
The plugin uses the positioning and up axis rotation of the host object if the host object has been placed on a horizontal surface.

Exactly - and after you move the host to any other host plane - kaboom!... You know this is absurd, a 2D orientation of object (proxy) into a 3D design environment. Just useless.

Paul, please take care of this, really, instead of give careless answers nobody is interested into.

Regards.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk Revit