Blender Octane glass gradient

Forums: Blender Octane glass gradient
Discuss or ask critique about your current works
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the left right corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and use pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Blender Octane glass gradient

Postby lovisdesigndao » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:11 pm

lovisdesigndao Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:11 pm
I am relatively new to Blender Octane and would like to add a gradient to my glass. What is the best way to achieve this with a 'specular material'?

In the first image, you can see the scene on the left, including lights and objects, with the glass in the middle and the nodes for the lights I'm using on the right.

In the second image, you can view the notes related to the glass and my attempt to apply a gradient effect using a gradient map to the specular material, but so far without success.

In the third image, you can see what I aim to achieve: a mix of the two pictures, ideally animated.

Are there other approaches?
I appreciate any help

lovisdesigndao

Re: Blender Octane glass gradient

Postby Grinpix » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:12 pm

Grinpix Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:12 pm
Hey there! I’m also diving into Blender Octane. Although I’m not yet a master ;) but I’m practicing at animation studio and have few colleagues, who are real profs. Perchance, I’d help you. Just the matter is that I can’t open your images. I see only small icons. Guess, you should make sure you've got the right material assigned to your glass and look for the specular settings in your material. There's usually something like "Specular Level" and "Specular Roughness" hanging around. Crank up the Specular Level to boost reflections, and play with the Roughness to control how sharp those reflections are. I’d be happy try and solution, if your question is still actual…Please share the images of your scenes in a viewable format.
Grinpix

Return to Works In Progress