Pod Monsters

Forums: Pod Monsters
Discuss or ask critique about your current works
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the left right corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and use pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Pod Monsters

Postby samartin » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:08 pm

samartin Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:08 pm
Basically I decided to try a trial of Moi3D this morning, having gone through the pod tutorial I thought I'd bring it into Modo. I then decided to do a quick test to see which came out the fastest :-

As you can see increasing blurry reflections on Modo has a massive impact on rendering times. I tried using the beach probe like Modo's one in Octane but it produced far too much noise!

It would be nice if Octane would produce super sharp reflections, I've tried going above the threshold but Octane limits me to the slider position. I think less noise would have been produced and as a result render times could be a lot lower. I do prefer the DOF in Octane tho', it has a nice natural looking feel to it and will be awesome when we can adjust the BOKEH :)
Win 7 Pro (x64) | Geforce 295GTX | Quad 2.4GHz | 4GB PC-6400
samartin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Pod Monsters

Postby Phr0stByte » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Phr0stByte Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:52 pm
You also have to remember that you are comparing a biased raytracer to an unbiased renderer like Octane. I would say that Octane was doing very well on your render, depending on what vid card you have. Have you used a unbiased renderer before that works off your CPU? Just try Indigo, Luxrender, or Maxwell and post how many HOURS that took :)
Ubuntu Linux 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) x64 | Geforce GTX285 (Zotac) | x2 Xeon Quads 2.66GHz | 8GB RAM
Phr0stByte
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sam » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:12 pm

Sam Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:12 pm
I think Samartin already know that
And he used brute force in Modo I think like his previous comparaison in Luxology forums

Brute force is the closest thing to unbiased you can do
Set samples to 2048 in Modo and 2048 in Octane and same number of bounces (8)
But even with that, the final result is not the same, specially if you have glossy or spec materials
Because Octane compute caustics by default ;)
http://Kuto.ch - Samuel Zeller - Freelance 3D Generalist and Graphic designer from Switzerland
Sam
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby samartin » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:27 pm

samartin Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:27 pm
I love Octane Render, it is something I am very eager to get into my workflow at any opportunity. Looks like Moi3D might be making it in there at some point too!

I am going to try a few variants, it is my 1st time using this method of rendering, it's alot easier than biased rendering and results tend to come much faster from the week or so I've been playing with Octane :)

*edit*

Phr0stByte, I'm using a lowly 9800GT and my Modo renders are rendered using an OC'd Q6600 @ 3Ghz.
Win 7 Pro (x64) | Geforce 295GTX | Quad 2.4GHz | 4GB PC-6400
samartin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Works In Progress