Rae and some blender export advice

Forums: Rae and some blender export advice
Discuss or ask critique about your current works
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the left right corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and use pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Rae and some blender export advice

Postby havensole » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:46 am

havensole Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:46 am
Hi all. Been playing with Octane all day. Most of my scenes worked fine with the default setting for the blender export to obj format, but a few kept crashing octane on import. So I have spent the last few hour tweeking setting to try and get something to work. Here is the result captured by a print screen. Settings are as followed using the blender standard export:

context:
selection only

output options:
rotate x90

export:
edges triangulate
materials

blender objects as obj:
objects

mesh stats are:
162664 triangles
geforce 8800GT using 49.5 or 512 megs of memory
2048 samples at 3.13 megasamples per sec.
total render time: 6.5 minutes

Biggest issue was the hair. Originally the hair is done with particles in blender, but I have converted them to verts and extruded them to give them faces, which is the reason for their chunkiness. I am going to try and go back and play with it now that I have figured out the basic setting to make the import work.
Attachments
blender_test_RAE.jpg
System 1: EVGA gtx470 1280Mb and MSI gtx470 1280 in Cubix Xpander for Octane, AMD 945, 4Gb Ram
All systems are at stock speeds and settings.
havensole
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Rae and some blender export advice

Postby havensole » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:52 am

havensole Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:52 am
Here is another version of the Rae file. I realized that I was using an older version and spent awhile trying to get this one working with Octane. Biggest thing I leaned from all of this is to make sure all armature systems are applied and that you are only importing meshes, not empties or stuff like that. Seems to crash it, at least for me. Granted a lot of this could be because I am using animated scenes that require a lot of tweaking to get a proper obj file. Anyway, traingles went up to 767854 and render time wen tup to about 11 minutes. I am still getting use to the material system.
Attachments
blender_test_RAE2.jpg
System 1: EVGA gtx470 1280Mb and MSI gtx470 1280 in Cubix Xpander for Octane, AMD 945, 4Gb Ram
havensole
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:56 am

radiance Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:56 am
great, this is the first time i've seen actual hair rendered with octane :)

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby havensole » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:18 pm

havensole Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:18 pm
The hair is the biggest contributor to the poly count. Had the convert the hair particle to a mesh then extrude it a bit to get some faces to it. Blender didn't like this too much and crashed a few times when trying to flip normals and such. Octane didn't flinch though. Used one of the packaged hdr images for the lighting as well in both. I will have to come ad o toy with the materials and othe models. Will bump/normal maps and emit materials be present in the full release next month?
havensole
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:33 pm

radiance Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:33 pm
havensole wrote:The hair is the biggest contributor to the poly count. Had the convert the hair particle to a mesh then extrude it a bit to get some faces to it. Blender didn't like this too much and crashed a few times when trying to flip normals and such. Octane didn't flinch though. Used one of the packaged hdr images for the lighting as well in both. I will have to come ad o toy with the materials and othe models. Will bump/normal maps and emit materials be present in the full release next month?

yes, bump and normal mapping, as well as arealights/emitters will be in the commercial beta versions.
we're also implementing a hair/fur primitive (through RIB import) as we've had demand from an animation studio to implement this for a large project.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby havensole » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:55 pm

havensole Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:55 pm
Great. I've been working on a full length animation with blender for awhile and the render times have been killing me. I am eager to get RIB support working so I can try porting it over.
havensole
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Works In Progress