water shader help

Forums: water shader help
Discuss or ask critique about your current works
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the left right corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and use pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

water shader help

Postby Scottiefeng » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:47 am

Scottiefeng Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:47 am
half an hour with Path trace.

Tried many times with this pond wavy shader using specular and displacement. But is is never reflective enough.

Any one can provide any tip?

Thanks a lot.
Attachments
trial 09.png
failed water 002
trial 06 trial.png
failed water
Scottiefeng
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: water shader help

Postby itsallgoode9 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:56 am

itsallgoode9 Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:56 am
What are your settings? If you have specular all the way up and it's not reflective enough for your needs you could either bump up the IOR setting, although that would change the way things in the water refract. For a render like this, I don't think it would be too distracting. Another option would be to use a mix material to combine your current water material with a high reflection chrome. It probably wouldn't take more than a .1 or .2 mix amount to raise the reflectivity enough.

Theoretically, you shouldn't need to do either of these methods to make it work correctly but in the end, do whatever you need to get the look you want!
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Scottiefeng » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:15 am

Scottiefeng Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:15 am
itsallgoode9 wrote:What are your settings? If you have specular all the way up and it's not reflective enough for your needs you could either bump up the IOR setting, although that would change the way things in the water refract. For a render like this, I don't think it would be too distracting. Another option would be to use a mix material to combine your current water material with a high reflection chrome. It probably wouldn't take more than a .1 or .2 mix amount to raise the reflectivity enough.

Theoretically, you shouldn't need to do either of these methods to make it work correctly but in the end, do whatever you need to get the look you want!

Thanks mate. Will try what you suggest.
Scottiefeng
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itsallgoode9 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:24 am

itsallgoode9 Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:24 am
When I responded earlier I was just looking at it on my phone. I think the reflectivity looks fine (i think?) in the 2nd one? although the the overall look seems off. post your material settings for us to see.
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Works In Progress