Stereoscopic Tests

Forums: Stereoscopic Tests
Discuss or ask critique about your current works
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the left right corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and use pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Stereoscopic Tests

Postby Olitech » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:41 pm

Olitech Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:41 pm
Hi All!

So a friend of mine distributes glasses-free 3D (stereoscopic) tablets.

He dropped one off to me to play with...

I took some older renderings and simply hit the 'stereoscopic' button on the camera (distance 0.0635) and re-rendered in stereo. These are what came out.

Now, I had to manipulate the aspect ratio a bit so that they would show up properly on the tablet. I can't seem to get the correct pixel/aspect ratio right out of octane, but I only spent about 30 seconds looking into it. =D

For those who have some kind of stereoscopic display (cardboard works too!), you gotta check these out!

best,
O
Attachments
WHITES BAY 03.jpg
WHITES BAY 02.jpg
ESTERO TEST 02.jpg
ESTERO CAM 15.jpg
ESTERO CAM 005.jpg
ESTERO CAM 004.jpg
WORKSTATION = Win7x64 / Intel Core i7-5930K [email protected] / 32GB ram / Liquid Cooled 4xTitanX /3dsMax 2014 / Octane Max Plug v2.16a / FARM = Intel i7-2600k 3.70GHz (x2 TitanZ) x 14
Olitech
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Stereoscopic Tests

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:12 am

Rikk The Gaijin Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:12 am
You can also view them on Oculus DK2 using VirtualDesktop ;)
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Olitech » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:47 pm

Olitech Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:47 pm
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:You can also view them on Oculus DK2 using VirtualDesktop ;)

Oooh, I'm listening. Are you happy with it Rikk?

best,
O
WORKSTATION = Win7x64 / Intel Core i7-5930K [email protected] / 32GB ram / Liquid Cooled 4xTitanX /3dsMax 2014 / Octane Max Plug v2.16a / FARM = Intel i7-2600k 3.70GHz (x2 TitanZ) x 14
Olitech
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jorgensen » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:03 pm

Jorgensen Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:03 pm
i will look at them at work where my 'glasses' are
..... hmmm or install virtual desktop + oculus (does it work with windows 10 now?)

you could wait an hour an create 360 degrees images :-)

i have done so with great success using just my iphone and homido hmd.
http://www.homido.com/en

it really takes costumers with a suprice, and they get a understanding of the project, even before seeing any drawings.

oculus is fine, but demanding and not portable.

jorgensen
HOME octane standalone v3.07 | octane plugin for sketchup 3.07.0.14 | sketchup pro 2017 17.2.2555 64 bit | windows 10 pro 10.015063 build 15063 | i7-6700k @4.0 GHz | 32gb ram | 2x gtx 1070 | nvidia driver 382.33
Jorgensen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:23 am

Rikk The Gaijin Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:23 am
Jorgensen wrote:install virtual desktop + oculus (does it work with windows 10 now?)

Yes, I use Win10 + SDK 0.7 and VirtualDesktop works perfectly (make sure to update your nVidia driver to the latest version).
Olitech wrote:Oooh, I'm listening. Are you happy with it Rikk?

The stereoscopic effect in your images looks nice, although is not super strong. The one with the gate in front of the camera causes the crosseye effect, perhaps the gate is too close to the camera?
Jorgensen wrote:oculus is fine, but demanding and not portable.

The best portable device for VR is the Samsung GearVR, it has the best image quality on the market at the moment.
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Olitech » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:13 am

Olitech Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:13 am
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:
Olitech wrote:Oooh, I'm listening. Are you happy with it Rikk?

The stereoscopic effect in your images looks nice, although is not super strong. The one with the gate in front of the camera causes the crosseye effect, perhaps the gate is too close to the camera?

I meant are you happy with the oculus?

But regarding the stereo,

If you're getting cross eyed, then you haven't hit the sweet spot. That's what I found interesting about the glasses free tablet; you can move around it slightly until the sweet spot 'locks' in. When it does, the feeling is eerily effortless. Even the super close stuff becomes solid. But I'm sure it's nowhere close to the effect dialed in goggles would have.

I imagine that with goggles, you are in a fixed point in space? I'm only guessing. You'd have to get it exact. I used the number 0.0635 from this forum. It was the closest I could get to 6.35cm, since I'm not sure what the the octane units actually represent.

So Rikk, on the oculus, is there an ability to trim or fine tune like you would with a telescope?

best,
O
Olitech
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:42 am

Rikk The Gaijin Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:42 am
Olitech wrote:I meant are you happy with the oculus?

The DK2 is OK, but the biggest problem with it is the resolution, as well as the "screendoor effect". You can't really ignore the size of those pixels in front of you, they are huge.
The Gear VR is much better in terms of display resolution, but of course it doesn't have positional tracking, and the phone gets hot really quickly. Also there is no cord plug option for it, so it relies only on the phone battery life, and it goes down quite fast when using VR.
I can't wait for the CV1 next year, that has all the characteristics to be a really good product. It has the best of both worlds, great display resolution, positional tracking, and it's cord-powered. The downside is that it's not portable, but if you want that, you can perhaps use it with a good Laptop with the "Oculus-ready" certification.
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Olitech » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:27 pm

Olitech Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:27 pm
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:
Olitech wrote:I meant are you happy with the oculus?

The DK2 is OK, but the biggest problem with it is the resolution, as well as the "screendoor effect". You can't really ignore the size of those pixels in front of you, they are huge.
The Gear VR is much better in terms of display resolution, but of course it doesn't have positional tracking, and the phone gets hot really quickly. Also there is no cord plug option for it, so it relies only on the phone battery life, and it goes down quite fast when using VR.
I can't wait for the CV1 next year, that has all the characteristics to be a really good product. It has the best of both worlds, great display resolution, positional tracking, and it's cord-powered. The downside is that it's not portable, but if you want that, you can perhaps use it with a good Laptop with the "Oculus-ready" certification.

Ok. So our DK2 is in the mail!

Time to see what all the fuss is about. =]

best,
O
Olitech
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Olitech » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Olitech Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:The DK2 is OK, but the biggest problem with it is the resolution, as well as the "screendoor effect". You can't really ignore the size of those pixels in front of you, they are huge.

Just got the DK2. Right. I see what you mean. It's like sitting up close to an old tv. Still pretty cool though!

Regarding the stereo images I posted, the stereo depth seems way stronger on the glasses-free tablet than on the Oculus for some reason. I'm really not getting the same feeling of depth. I'll try panos next.

Oh, and Rikk, I thought Fushimi Inari Forest was already the best render I've ever seen. But on the Oculus....omfg! SIIIIICK.

Best,
O
Olitech
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:43 am

Rikk The Gaijin Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:43 am
Have fun! ;)
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Works In Progress