New UI?

Forums: New UI?
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

New UI?

Postby Jan21201 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:02 pm

Jan21201 Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:02 pm
I bought in 2016? a octane license with the archicad plugin. i really liked it and now i bought this winter the perpetual license. i was excited to see the new stuff since the archicad plugin UI allways felt klunky and gave me a way worse experience then octane standalone.
i was a little bit dissapointed to see that in this 8 years not much has improved. i would understand this better if on the archicad side the API would be the same and a piece of ****. but the archicad c++ api improved a lot in this time. and they even built in CEFSharp, which allows developer do build UIs on a html/css/js basis. so i kinda don't understand wy the ui still is so bad...

i understand that when a plugin doesent get to much downloads that its not usefull to pour development time in it. but the archicad plugin was for me a selling point to the perpetual license.
i hope this comes not to much over as harsh critique...
2x RTX2080S ftw!
Jan21201
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: New UI?

Postby face_off » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:18 pm

face_off Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:18 pm
Thanks for the feedback. In this case I don't think the effort required to re-write is supported by the number of users of the plugin. I am also unsure how a HTML/CSS/JS would improve the UI other that just cosmetically.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: New UI?

Postby Jan21201 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:09 am

Jan21201 Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:09 am
one could say it has so few users beacause of the bad user experience. wy bother with the plugin when the standalone is way more easy to use?

Waht i want to say with the HTML/CSS/JS UI that it could be more close to the standalone UI, since the DG::XXX Class would never allow that. That would't be mere "cosmetics" but a better user experience.

i mean it is kinda grotesque, the plugin is able to create proxies waht is very cool and is a reason alone to use the archicad plugin over the standalone. but then on the other hand does the plugin not even bother to get the images from the surface attributes...
2x RTX2080S ftw!
Jan21201
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD