EXR not being saved with full dynamic range

Forums: EXR not being saved with full dynamic range
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: EXR not being saved with full dynamic range

Postby face_off » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:14 am

face_off Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:14 am
Here is a test release with the saving of EXR's from the "Save" and "Save All Render Passes" being done with the linear colorspace rather than sRGB. Let me know if you have any issues with this build.

https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloads/plugins/a1/c5/ed/77/OctaneRender_for_ArchiCAD26_2022_1_1_116_STUDIO_test1.exe

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Dingbat » Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:19 pm

Dingbat Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:19 pm
thanks Paul

had a go with this but there are still issues

the image seems to be saved linear, but max white values are clipped at 1.0 (they should go beyond 1.0)

also, tonemapping is saved. with linear workflow the image should be saved without tonemapping (unless Force Tonemapping is selected)
Dingbat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:24 am

face_off Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:24 am
I think I have messed this feature request up - as there is a conflict between the new combobox and the Settings->Image Save Format. If you set the Image Save Format to EXR, does that resolve the problem?

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Dingbat » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:15 am

Dingbat Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:15 am
i reverted back to the old version so not sure, but i didn't know there was an option to change the image format

i always just use the 'Save All Render Passes' button and the only option there is to save as EXR

if i use the 'Save' button the only option is to save as PNG (and it will only save 1 pass)

also, i'm not using F9 render, i'm rendering from the Octane Render Setup Window - Open Window (rendering in the OctaneRender Viewport)
Dingbat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Dingbat » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:21 am

Dingbat Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:21 am
i just tried an f9 render (with the official version, not the test version) and when saving the image there is no option to save as EXR (which must be why i render in the OctaneRender Viewport)

i can't reinstall the test version right now but could have a go this weekend if useful - let me know
Dingbat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:41 am

face_off Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:41 am
I am just getting back to this issue after doing the AC27 version. Looking at the various image save points:

1) PhotoRender Projection (with the OctaneRender Renderer engine selected) -> ArchiCAD controls the saving, and I assume that only 8bit saving is possible
2) Progressive Saving - doubt anyone uses this anymore. The FORMAT that is saved is specified in the Configuration->Image Save Format combobox
3) The "Save" button on the Octane "Rendering" tab. This is where it gets complex. The Octane SDK allows a "save format" (which is 8-bit PNG, 16-bit PNG, 16-bit EXR or 32-bit EXR) which is different from the filename extension. The "save format" is specified in the Configuration->Image Save Format combobox. So users need to match the file extension they save to with the Save Format in the Configuration. The "Color Space" saved will be Linear if the file extension is EXR, or sRGB if the extension is EXR.
4) The "Save All Render Passes" button on the Octane "Rendering" tab. This will assume you are saving to EXR with Linear color space, either 16 or 32 bit (as per the combobox).

So with this in mind, can you indicate specifically which of the above are not saving correctly?

And yes, I need to fix 3) so that you don't need to go into the Configuration to change the Save Format when saving. Perhaps EXR is not needed as an option when saving via 3?

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Previous

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD