How to reduce Archicad-scene for loading in OR

Forums: How to reduce Archicad-scene for loading in OR
Graphisoft ArchiCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

How to reduce Archicad-scene for loading in OR

Postby rappet » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:49 pm

rappet Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:49 pm
I got an error while opening the OR viewport uwing the plugin in Archicad.
The scene has too many vertices ( if I remember correctly or 3dpolygons or something )
Anyway It is too large.
I got 3b on my GPU, but I guess I got to the max :oops:

I made a maquette-look scene with also a forest of hundreds of simple trees (round colum and sphere).
When I leave out the most trees I can load the scene without any problems.
The next try I will see if I can rduce the resolution of the spheres to see if that helpes.

Update: Model size checking in ArchiCAD: The PolyCount add-on is a nice tool to count, but also simplify the polys.

I am working to a deadline tomorrow, so if anyone has tips in advance that might reduce the scene...?

Greetz,

Btw: @Paul,
I guess the future instancing will solve this problem, while I'll have one tree calculated instead of hundreds, right?
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: How to reduce Archicad-scene for loading in OR

Postby rappet » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:06 am

rappet Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:06 am
The problem does not seem to be the video memory, but just the number of vertices???
Error: "A critcal error occured
The Archicad scene has too many vertices to load in Octane"
Is there a limit to that?

I assume vertices is the same as polygons?
In the scene that loads OK now has almost 589.984 polygons
The scene that did not load has a little over 780.000 polygons

Anyway, I lowered the resolution of the spheres I used to make the simple trees and I can load the scene without problems,
so no sweat needed to finish the project :mrgreen:
Last edited by rappet on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:22 am

face_off Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:22 am
Jeroen - I am so sorry I missed this thread! Best to email me next time if urgent :-)

In order to address the slow load time with 1.11, I put a hard cap on vertices and polygons (I think it was 3million). Clearly that number is not high enough! Maybe 10million would be a better limit?

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rappet » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:17 pm

rappet Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:17 pm
face_off wrote:Jeroen - I am so sorry I missed this thread! Best to email me next time if urgent :-)
In order to address the slow load time with 1.11, I put a hard cap on vertices and polygons (I think it was 3million). Clearly that number is not high enough! Maybe 10million would be a better limit?
Paul

I managed to finish the project without problems, but I had to reduce the polygons to do so.
I'll keep in mind to e-mail when having an urgent problem to solve.

I do not understand why you have to set a limit for the vertices? Maybe you need to do that for techincal reasons?
Can you not make it unlimited and when taking to long to load the user has to reduce polygons if he/she likes to load it faster. But yes, please make the limit higher if you have to set one.

The funny thing afterwards is that I made simple trees, also to keep the scene fast to work with,
I thought, but AC-spheres with resolution 32 have a lot vertices :oops:
Surely when copying hundreds of trees.

Cheers, Jeroen
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:23 pm

face_off Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:23 pm
I do not understand why you have to set a limit for the vertices? Maybe you need to do that for techincal reasons?

Originally the plugin did an initial analysis of the scene to work out the exact number of tri and vertices to then allocate enough space to transfer the scene to Octane. However this analysis pass was taking almost as much time as the actual transfer, so it is much quicker to simply allocate a "large" number of tri's and vertices and use what's needed.

I just uploaded a new version - which has the limit increased from 3Mil to 10Mil. The amount of RAM this uses up is very very small (so I could make it 50M!). At some point I will make this number configurable in the Configuration.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:24 pm

face_off Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:24 pm
The funny thing afterwards is that I made simple trees, also to keep the scene fast to work with,

In a few months I will look at an instancing implementation which will make all this much easier :-)
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rappet » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:56 pm

rappet Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:56 pm
face_off wrote:

In a few months I will look at an instancing implementation which will make all this much easier :-)

Oh yes! Now I cannot sleep. EXCITING ( sorry for using capitals).
Good news.
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rappet » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:59 pm

rappet Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:59 pm
face_off wrote:

Originally the plugin did an initial analysis of the scene to work out the exact number of tri and vertices to then allocate enough space to transfer the scene to Octane. However this analysis pass was taking almost as much time as the actual transfer, so it is much quicker to simply allocate a "large" number of tri's and vertices and use what's needed.

I just uploaded a new version - which has the limit increased from 3Mil to 10Mil. The amount of RAM this uses up is very very small (so I could make it 50M!). At some point I will make this number configurable in the Configuration.

Paul

With future instancing the 50M probably will be not needed, but when number is configurable everything is solved then anyway. Great again :P
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rappet » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:21 am

rappet Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:21 am
Hi Paul,

I had this error:
Tapperworks-report-150405-191.JPG
Tapperworks-report-150405-191.JPG (18.86 KiB) Viewed 6097 times

Then I changed 10Million to 50M for triangles:
Tapperworks-report-150405-192.JPG

And now It loaded correctly.Super this being possible to adjust in config.

Now, after I having been able to load the scene correctly, I noticed that the trianlge number is 6.1M.
So why was it not able to load with config set 10M (or was it standard 1M)?
Tapperworks-report-150405-193.JPG

(btw: you see I need to transfer to my other machine with 6Gb and work with out of core render..I almost used full 3gb vram)

Loading the scene takes quit a while (about 35 seconds for caching materials and 2:30 minutes for loading scene).
Tapperworks-report-150405-194.JPG

How can I speed this up? Enabling fast cache?
Can you tell me what this 'fast cache' does exactly?
probably should read the manual (if it is in there?),
but I wanted to post anyway about this config
;-)

And what can I do in the Archicad scene, besides try to minimize details (triangles)?
And what hardware or software settings have influence on loading time?
CPU as well?
(this would be nice to test on other machine and compare loading times)

greetings,
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:08 pm

face_off Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:08 pm
Now, after I having been able to load the scene correctly, I noticed that the trianlge number is 6.1M.
So why was it not able to load with config set 10M (or was it standard 1M)?
The "Maximum Scene Triangles" parameter is perhaps a little misleading - it is the maximum used for triangle AND vertices. So it will vary for each scene, but a scene might have 3 unique vertices for each triangle - 3.3million triangles will use up the 10 million vertices. But if vertices are shared between triangles, the number of vertices is usually very close to the number of triangles. I will change the parameter name to Maximum Scene Vertices/Triangles. Keep in mind the current maximum number of TRIANGLES Octane can hold is approx 2GB, which is about 10Million triangles (an exact max triangles number has been given on these forums by Otoy).

Loading the scene takes quit a while (about 35 seconds for caching materials and 2:30 minutes for loading scene).
Extracting geometry from ArchiCAD into Octane is slow in some instances due to the way ArchiCAD plugins need to construct the scene geometry. There is not a "Give me all the scene geometry" function in the ArchiCAD API. Instead, it is a long process of going through each and every scene element and extracting the geometry based upon the type of element. I don't think there is anything that could be done to speed up this processes without enhancements to the ArchiCAD API.

Enabling fast cache?
Fast caching is to speed up the material caching process only (which is taking 35 secs on your scene). In general, 95% if the caching process will be the plugin going through each polygon in the GDL objects searching for different materials. The tooltip reads:
When checked, you CANNOT render via the Octane Photorenderer UNLESS the Octane Viewport is already open, however starting the plugin and loading the OctaneRender Viewport is quicker. If you add anything to the ArchiCAD scene when the Setup window is open, you should close and reopen the plugin. Pen materials are not processed when Fast Cache is enabled. Restart the plugin after changing this setting.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Graphisoft ArchiCAD