How to clean up darker/shadowed areas of renders?

Forums: How to clean up darker/shadowed areas of renders?
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: How to clean up darker/shadowed areas of renders?

Postby frankmci » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:30 pm

frankmci Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:30 pm
Petec wrote:Thanks I'll try to keep that all in mind. In this case I picked a set and multiple cameras where I kinda need the lighting to look organic/built into the scene (i.e. at some point the whole set is in frame). Adjusting the sampling rate on each light I am new to. Questions:

(1) Can I set the sampling rate on the sun/planetary environment (as it's on the settings tab in the Poser plugin, not the materials tab)?
(2) As I understand the sampling is a weight to tell octane how to prioritize light calculations? So if one light is set to 2 and the other to 100 that's a 1 to 50 weight difference and the first light will get cleaner a lot sooner?

(1) I don't know the Poser plugin, but in C4D, Sun objects are different than normal Octane lights, and don't have the Sampling Rate variable. There is an "Importance Sampling" checkbox, which is supposed to optimize the ray sampling to help with noise, but doesn't give you any control over how it does it. It reduces the Ms/second, but is also suppose to increase the efficiency of those samples, so ultimately take less time. One of the reasons I like to use distant spot lights instead of Suns is that they give me all the usual controls.

(2) Yes, that's correct. The sampling rate is just a weighting ratio, so you can use whatever rage you are comfortable with. I like to stick to 0-100, but you can use 0-1, etc.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Poser