Not all video cards? Or did I miss something?

Forums: Not all video cards? Or did I miss something?
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Not all video cards? Or did I miss something?

Postby Seaking406 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:40 am

Seaking406 Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:40 am
Greetings, having just recently upgrading my Octane from 11.2.307 to 2020.1.0.100 I've run into a few issues but soon figured it out..

However, this one is a puzzler for me.. I currently run three video cards on my X99 system; 2080Ti, 1080Ti and a TitanX (one of the original first ones out)...
With the the previous version, all three cards were used and greatly reduced rendering times... (the 2080Ti is used for display monitor)

But with this version, I see that only the Ti cards are being used...?

When I look at the Cuda devices page info (which now always needs to be expanded to see the devices). It shows all three cards available but only that the Ti cards are being used.. I cannot select the TitanX card at all.. it won't click on... ?

Though MSI AfterBurner fan controller (shows card temps) indicate that the Ti cards are running hot, the TitanX is running warmer than idle, so some use of it is being made, but not for full rendering as it was before... Now my render times have slowed down enough to be an issue for my work flow..

I'm not sure why, but the 2080Ti is running VERY hot now with the new Octane version on the same scenes used before... Fans were set at 70% speed, now need to be at 95% at least to keep the temps below 80'

Is this a bug, a new feature or "how things are now" with the new update?

Seeing how the older version worked just fine for my needs, am I am able to revert BACK to the previous version? If so, how might I be able to do so safely?

If anyone has any info of if and how I can revert back to previous version of Octane, I would appreciate it if they could pass it on..

As for this new version of Octane, are my settings correct in the device panel, did I miss something about the update info not permitting the TitanX to be used again?

Thanks in advance...

Cheers!
Attachments
otoy01.jpg
Seaking406
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Not all video cards? Or did I miss something?

Postby face_off » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:27 am

face_off Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:27 am
Does this happen with Octane Standalone too? If so, I suggest posting your question in the Octane Standalone forum.

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seaking406 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:02 pm

Seaking406 Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:02 pm
Hi Paul, thanks for the quick reply..

Can you point out to me where to download this file? All I see is Enterprise Standalone on the download page and nothing noting 'stand alone' in the forum download page?

I managed to download and install version 4.02.1.91 of Octane and tried it against the same Poser file as the latest version with interesting results..

The 4.02.1.91 version sees and uses all three cards, cuts the rendering time down by half, and reduced the video card temps by a huge margin! Not sure why it does that but with the fans at 70% I'm showing 50'C after 2 minutes or rendering while the latest version would show 80'C with fans at 90%... ? (the 2080Ti is the hottest of the 3 fans)...

So for now, seeing that all is working again, I'm good to go.

Cheers and Stay Safe!
Seaking406
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:08 am

face_off Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:08 am
Seaking406 wrote:Hi Paul, thanks for the quick reply..

Can you point out to me where to download this file? All I see is Enterprise Standalone on the download page and nothing noting 'stand alone' in the forum download page?

I managed to download and install version 4.02.1.91 of Octane and tried it against the same Poser file as the latest version with interesting results..

The 4.02.1.91 version sees and uses all three cards, cuts the rendering time down by half, and reduced the video card temps by a huge margin! Not sure why it does that but with the fans at 70% I'm showing 50'C after 2 minutes or rendering while the latest version would show 80'C with fans at 90%... ? (the 2080Ti is the hottest of the 3 fans)...

Cheers and Stay Safe!
The latest Octane Standalone 2019.1 can be downloaded from https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=73490 and 2020.1 from https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=74419.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seaking406 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:02 pm

Seaking406 Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:02 pm
face_off wrote:
Seaking406 wrote:Hi Paul, thanks for the quick reply..

Cheers and Stay Safe!
The latest Octane Standalone 2019.1 can be downloaded from https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=73490 and 2020.1 from https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=74419.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I've downloaded / installed the Stand Alone version and it also will not permit the selection of the TitanX video card.

Cheers
Seaking406
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:54 pm

face_off Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:54 pm
Thanks Paul, I've downloaded / installed the Stand Alone version and it also will not permit the selection of the TitanX video card.
OK, suggest you ask OTOY why this is happening. I suspect it could be an Nvidia driver issue, so make sure you have the latest drivers installed.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seaking406 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:39 pm

Seaking406 Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:39 pm
face_off wrote:
OK, suggest you ask OTOY why this is happening. I suspect it could be an Nvidia driver issue, so make sure you have the latest drivers installed.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I do have the latest NVidia drivers. I'll see if I can the contact info for otoy itself and see what they might know about it.

Cheers!
Seaking406
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seaking406 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:07 pm

Seaking406 Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:07 pm
Seaking406 wrote:
face_off wrote:

Paul

Thanks Paul, I do have the latest NVidia drivers. I'll see if I can the contact info for otoy itself and see what they might know about it.

Cheers!

Finally heard back from OTOY...

"It appears that you may be experiencing performance issues related to new features specific to OctaneRender 2020. Particularly when compared to OctaneRender 4, there are many new, resource intensive features that will place a higher overhead on GPUs. These new features are optimized for Pascal, and very recent additions are optimized for RTX support.
It is worth noting, that OctaneRender 2020 is still in a test state at the moment (a Stable Release is due very soon), so further optimizations are still pending."

So will now wait for the 'stable' version to come out and try that... But in the meantime, the earlier version I'm using now is doing just fine ;)

Thanks again
Seaking406
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Poser