Poser crashes after installing Octane Plugin

Forums: Poser crashes after installing Octane Plugin
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: Poser crashes after installing Octane Plugin

Postby face_off » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:56 pm

face_off Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:56 pm
I'm really sorry - I'm still having to problems understanding your basic setup.

The setup ist simple: PC with single Windows 7 Pro x64 instalation.

then...
It is one and the same PC but with different operating systems.

The above 2 statement are a little confusing. Are you dual booted on the PC where it does not work?

Is "octaneplugin.log" being generated in the Poser temp folder? If not, then the plugin is not even starting - since the first line of the plugin generates this file. If there is no octaneplugin.log, then it is NOT a Cuda issue (since the log file will report this) - but it is a Poser installation issue.

Is it possible you have installed the 32 bit version of the plugin on your 64 bit PC?

I have a chamber experiment. All pyc-files have been moved except __Init__.pyc. Then I checked what the error has reported the Phyton.

There is an issue with the PoserPython plugin system - where if there is an error in __Init__.pyc, the actual error message is not displayed. So the plugin will send the error to octaneplugin.log.

If you UNINSTALL the plugin, what does Poser -> Window -> Addons report? Can you run the "Python Shell" addon?

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby maya-heyes » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:43 pm

maya-heyes Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:43 pm
sorry for my english, i try my best-)
Again about my system: i had Windows 8 on the PC. Then I uninstalled the Win8 and installed Win7 instead... so..
In Windows 8 worked Poser with octane plugin.. in Windows 7 it don't..

Is "octaneplugin.log" being generated in the Poser temp folder? - Yes, the log file is where it should be and will be updated by each Poser start.
Is it possible you have installed the 32 bit version of the plugin on your 64 bit PC? - The plugin is 100% x64 and installed in correct directory.

If you UNINSTALL the plugin, what does Poser -> Window -> Addons report? Can you run the "Python Shell" addon?
"Welcome to the Poser Python shell.
Python 2.7.1 (r271:86832, Oct 10 2012, 10:53:31) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information."
maya-heyes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:18 pm

face_off Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:18 pm
Again about my system: i had Windows 8 on the PC. Then I uninstalled the Win8 and installed Win7 instead... so..
In Windows 8 worked Poser with octane plugin.. in Windows 7 it don't..

Did you format your hard disk when going from Win 8 to Win 7? If not, you will have Win 8 drivers, etc on Win 7 and that is going to cause all sorts of problems.

Is "octaneplugin.log" being generated in the Poser temp folder? - Yes, the log file is where it should be and will be updated by each Poser start.

Can you pls post a copy of octaneplugin.log that results from starting Poser with the plugin installed (and Poser crashing).

Thanks

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby maya-heyes » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:39 pm

maya-heyes Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:39 pm
Did you format your hard disk when going from Win 8 to Win 7? If not, you will have Win 8 drivers, etc on Win 7 and that is going to cause all sorts of problems. - it is not possible,to install Win7 after Win8, without complete hdd formating..so hdd was formatted.

Log File(octaneplugin.log)

DEBUG:root:addon:__init__

Thanks,
L.H.
maya-heyes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:18 pm

face_off Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:18 pm
Log File(octaneplugin.log)
DEBUG:root:addon:__init__

Thank you. Poser is crashing prior to loading the plugin. At this stage it has not attempted to load the Octane dll, so it's not a Cuda issue. Whilst the crash is happening when the plugin has been installed, the crash is not actually happening with the plugin - but inside Poser (after Poser has initiated the plugin, but not loaded it yet).

This is getting into the area that Smith Micro would need to look at - to determine why PP2012 is crashing at that point.

Do you have any other Poser plugins installed? (ie. when the Octane plugin is NOT installed, when you Poser -> Window -> Addons, what other plugins are listed?

I know it's a lot of trouble - but would it be possible to download and install Poser Pro 2014 and install the plugin into that Poser install and see if it runs?

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby maya-heyes » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:26 am

maya-heyes Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:26 am
Do you have any other Poser plugins installed? (ie. when the Octane plugin is NOT installed, when you Poser -> Window -> Addons, what other plugins are listed?

yes, I have installed Reality3D plugin. The plugin works fine.

Poser is crashing prior to loading the plugin. At this stage it has not attempted to load the Octane dll, so it's not a Cuda issue. Whilst the crash is happening when the plugin has been installed, the crash is not actually happening with the plugin - but inside Poser (after Poser has initiated the plugin, but not loaded it yet).

You are right. It is not octane plugin problem. I have decompiled the pyc files and I've found the command, because it finally comes to Crashing.
It happens when "import random" is called. And that's 100% Poser problem.
I uninstalled then octane plugin in order to test whether really the poser has a problem with the command.. and yes, after entering the command in Poser python schell came to Crashing.

Thanks for the support, Paul.
regards,

L.H.
maya-heyes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:07 pm

face_off Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:07 pm
Looks like PoserPython is corrupt. Maybe you have separately installed python onto your PC and it has overridden some of PoserPython's functions.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby maya-heyes » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:11 am

maya-heyes Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:11 am
Looks like PoserPython is corrupt. Maybe you have separately installed python onto your PC and it has overridden some of PoserPython's functions.

.. no, no .. Python is not damaged. Previously I had Python installed separately .. Everything worked well.

But.. now I was able to locate the problem.
I have the Poser debugged using WinDbg -) And when I had typed "import random", showed me the debuger, that the Poser could not access a libeay32.dll file - "Access Denied". And that's why the program crashed, even though I started the Poser as administrator.
The libeay32.dll file is part of the Intel Management Engine Interface software package that was installed on my system. After I uninstalled this software package, I left to install the IMEI driver from Windows Device Manager .. the dll file is now in Windows/SysWOW64 folder and access is allowed and all works fine.
I know that it's not a nice solution .. But with the setting of access rights, I did not attempt it .. maybe someone has tips for me?

regards,
L.H.
maya-heyes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:18 am

face_off Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:18 am
I have the Poser debugged using WinDbg -) And when I had typed "import random", showed me the debuger, that the Poser could not access a libeay32.dll file - "Access Denied". And that's why the program crashed, even though I started the Poser as administrator.
The libeay32.dll file is part of the Intel Management Engine Interface software package that was installed on my system. After I uninstalled this software package, I left to install the IMEI driver from Windows Device Manager .. the dll file is now in Windows/SysWOW64 folder and access is allowed and all works fine.
I know that it's not a nice solution .. But with the setting of access rights, I did not attempt it .. maybe someone has tips for me?

OK, I am amazed you have been able to diagnose the issue that far - well done! May I suggest you report this issue to Smith Micro - since it is going to prevent some people from using PoserPython scripts.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby maya-heyes » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:49 pm

maya-heyes Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:49 pm
Yes, I have reported it recently the tech support team. The answer was:
"If found to be an issue with Poser, the issue will be addressed in a future update or upgrade."

best regards,
L.H.
maya-heyes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Poser